Couple of Questions

Hi together, I have a couple of questions:

1. If I possess a character it switches to a none existing camera and it is not possible to blend back to my overhead camera. Why is the system switching to this phantom camera without me asking for that switch?

2. If I make a “Get Hit Result Under Cursor by Channel” with channel “Visible” I get my landscape and static meshes my spline road but not my Character Blueprints. Only if I swith the trace channel to “Camera” I get my Character Blueprints but no static mesh or landscape. Why is that? Are Blueprints derived from Character not visible (in a engine term of view)?

3. Why is an animation stored mesh dependend (Every skeletal mesh has it’s own animations) and not skeletal dependend. That would mean to import animations once and use it with every mesh sharing the same skeleton. Right now, if you have 10 different skeletal meshes with the same skeleton and 10 animations you have to have it 10x10 times -> 100 animations. Anybody knows why that is made this way?

4. If you follow the retarget tutorial you can use the animations in the AnimStarterPack with your retargeting destination skeletal mesh. But if you try to retarget the idle, walk and run animation from the default HeroTPP your destination does not show up. But the anim starter animations and the HeroTPP share the same rig (at least I think that is the case), shouldn’t then your destination show up at any animation based on the same rig?

Question 1 and 2 I really would like to know 3 and 4 are only “nice to know” to understand the relations better.

Best regards,
Isa

1. Why is an animation stored mesh dependend (Every skeletal mesh has it’s own animations) and not skeletal dependend. That would mean to import animations once and use it with every mesh sharing the same skeleton. Right now, if you have 10 different skeletal meshes with the same skeleton and 10 animations you have to have it 10x10 times -> 100 animations. Anybody knows why that is made this way?

You should be able just to choose 1 Skeleton for characters. So if you import Bob, Ray and Jenny, they could use Bob’s Skeleton as long as they have same joints and stuff.