Could we get a list of all the Output Warnings from the 3ds Max Exporter?

We are trying to figure the best way to set up a scene in 3ds Max to have as little problems as possible when exporting to Unreal.
The Output Warning are great, but it actually require you to make the “bad practice” before knowing it’s one.

For example :

MATERIALS

Some materials used in the scene are not supported by the Unreal Datasmith format in the moment. They will not be imported inside Unreal Engine.
“T_BODY_ALL_F_GLOSSY_L_viper red” of type VRayCarPaintMtl (0x38312c74-0x47280883)

TEXTUREMAPS

Some texture maps used in the scene are not supported by the Unreal Datasmith format in the moment. They will not be imported inside Unreal Engine.
“Map #15264” of type Output (0x000002b0-0x00000000)
Bump maps are automatically converted to normal maps, as Unreal Engine does not handle bump maps directly.

Well that’s great, I’ll just change my 3ds Max workflow but it would have been great to know this in advance.
I just want the complete list of warning and “do and don’t” of the plugin.
My goal here is to get the perfect 3ds Max scene for compatibility with datasmith.

I know Datasmith is ever changing so the list could be updated with each update.

I’ll see what I can do.

Hi Rémi,

its not not entirely possible due to the way the system is architected and due to how max is designed.

we iterate through the model and ask the max sdk to return information like « give me your color » or « shininess ». If we get an answer we use it. If not we yield an error and report it.

because we can’t predict in advance what plugins are installed in the system we can’t get an accurate list of what is supported or not.

however for specific cases we can add extra logic that is specific to some plugins ( if Vraythis then do that). Those special cases will be added to support more plugins over time.