Could someone walk me through the blueprint in the Spatial Audio Temple?

I’ve spent the last few days trying to wrap my head around first person with no skeletal mesh and dealing with footsteps.

I think the answer is in the Spatial Audio Temple project in the “learn” tab in the Epic launcher, but I’m still confused on some nodes, and how to bring them up.

Could someone explain from beginning to end how this blueprint was achieved in the event graph? Would this be a good template for other first person games with no skeletal mesh? Am I thinking of this wrong?

Here’s the level: https://launcher-website-prod07.ol.epicgames.com/ue/learn/spatial-audio-temple

If you’re using a Pawn/Character with a Controller, wouldn’t a simple way just be to keep track of how much movement input you give the Pawn and play a footstep noise every time the amount increased by a certain step amount?

I’m not sure. I’m still learning how to use blueprints, and I’ve followed a half dozen tutorials in the last couple days trying to make each of them work.

I know a bit part of the problem is that I’m using premade levels without sound; but seeing as I want to work with audio design, those are the troubles I’m trying to overcome.

I was trying to follow those assets while working in the “Sun Temple” module, which is the same level as the Spatial Temple without sound, but I just don’t know what they all do, or how to pull up all those custom nodes in the blueprint.

Oh man, it actually worked! I’ve finally made progress; but am looking at a different file in an older version where the materials input is broken. Now I should find a creative way to change the footstep sound when moving from outside to inside a house without having to worry about materials…

Anywho, you’re right, of course; this is just pent up after two days of really trying to figure it out and wrap my head around how things work. Thanks.

I’m not sure if anyone’s going to download the content and inspect it just to answer your question, since that requires a lot of effort. My suggestion would be to try out what I suggested. If it doesn’t do something that you want then either let me know or just augment the system to do what you want.

Glad I could help :slight_smile:
(please consider accepting the answer so I can get that sweet sweet karma)

Also a way you might be able to tell whether you’re inside/outside is to use a Physical Material on the ground surfaces where it matters. You can create child classes of physical materials to add your own properties to them. You’d basically do a line trace down all the time (or once every so often) to sample what physical material is below the player, and switch sound effects depending.

An alternative would be to make decisions based on the specific visual material below the player, I’m not sure quite how that would work unless you wanted to be maintaining a mapping of materials to sound effects somewhere.

Yeah, I tried that, but the map only has two landscapes through the whole thing, and every material I drop just disappears. I’m sure there’s a workaround, but as an audio guy and it took me two days to figure out how to get footsteps to work, I’m not sure if I can figure out the materials!

Definitely will mark your answer! Sorry, this is my first day around these parts. :slight_smile: