Constant "Resizing Virtual Texture Pools" message after upgrading project to 5.4

Hi, after migrating my project to 5.4, I keep getting this message constantly popping up several times a minute:
I tried doing exactly what’s on the message:

Copied the transient pool to fixed one. Had no effect, the message kept appearing.

So I decided to read up on it:

All I am doing is a simple cinematic quality environment. Correct setup of fixed texture pools requires rendering engineer level of knowledge to do correctly. This is not anything average engine user/artist should ever come in contact with, be expected to interact with, or even be expected to be concerned with.

If the transient pools don’t get saved, then why just not make them fixed by default, and ditch this message?

I honestly think this is a bug, that it’s not something that should appear spontaneously, but something that should only appear if there’s an error in manual setup of fixed VT pools user has explicitly done beforehand.

2 Likes

Same thing is happening to me. I have searched a couple of hours for a solution with no luck. I might be looking in the wrong places though.

I’m having the same problem and I couldn’t solve it. I really hate problems like this. It ruins the workflow. We are wasting time like crazy until we solve the problem. While rendering, my water add-ons do not appear and it constantly gives this error. I think we’ll have to buy 10 5090s.

(post deleted by author)

You can get rid of this message by disabling “Pool Auto Grow in Editor”

After turning it off, message no longer appears, but since VT pool settings seem like deeply technical topic, I don’t have a good understanding how turning off this feature will affect performance or visual quality of the level.

If I have to make an educated guess, I’d expect it to cause issues with some materials not always displaying sufficient/full resolution of virtual texture if the memory pool is filled, even if GPU has more free VRAM available to fill.

But since it’s Editor-only setting, it’s probably relatively safe. The tooltip is implying the auto-growth is disabled in cooked builds by default anyway.

1 Like

I ran into this issue when trying to enable landscape displacement and so far it fixed my issues, without any more problems

I try to increase the pool size without closing the notification, but it does not go away when I increase it. How can I increase the size of the pool and solve this problem? Textures go crazy when rendering. It goes back and forth. How can I fix this problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6W5roK9z98

Just disable the Pool Auto Grow in Editor option as shown in the post above.

2 Likes