Copy Procedural Mesh from Spline Mesh

I was wondering if it was possible to use the “Copy Procedural Mesh from Static Mesh Component” using a Spline Mesh Component, and for the function to actually take into account the deforms.

I can call “Copy Procedural Mesh from…” and pass it a Spline Mesh;

However it simply takes the base Static Mesh without the deforms applied to the Spline Mesh by the spline. For example: instead of a curved rod that follows a spline, it’s just the base straight rod that I imported).

290592-result.png

Any advice appreciated!

1 Like

I found a better solution: just create the procedural mesh directly with the spline.

The creation of both the spline mesh and procedural mesh created bad framerate drops, but when I just use the procedural mesh instead framerate drop isn’t nearly as bad.

I’m facing the same issue, “Copy Procedural Mesh from Static Mesh Component” using a Spline Mesh Component returns the base Static Mesh without the deforms applied to the Spline Mesh by the spline.

You said that you found a better solution: “just create the procedural mesh directly with the spline”. How do you do that ? Are you coding the same behavior as the Spline Mesh Component for deforming the base Static Mesh before create the Procedural Mesh ? Or are you using a simple trick that I can’t get my hand on ? (I would like to avoid the first solution, I don’t want to reinvent the wheel)

I’m aware of the bad framerate caused by the Spline Mesh Component, and know how to use the Procedural Mesh instead can be useful at many points.

Thanks !

Keep in mind it’s been about six months since I’ve worked on this project (or any Unreal project for that matter), so I probably won’t be of much help.

Upon revisiting the project blueprint, it would appear that I never actually got it to convert to a Procedural Mesh. I did however start some C++ stuff (mostly based off of this post) that somewhat works but that I didn’t get that far on. It seems that doing this in Blueprint isn’t possible, as there doesn’t seem to be a way to strip a Spline Mesh Component of it’s verts and triangles.

Ok, it makes sense, I came to the same conclusion that doing this in Blueprint isn’t possible, I suspected this answer.

But your link seems to be super useful ! I hadn’t found it yet. I’m still trying to investigate if what I want to do is doable before I jump into C++ stuff. And it could be a good start.

For now I need to investigate more but If I go far enough and get a result I will post my findings on this thread.

(Your link is broken, I repost it here)

Thanks for your time !