Copy output log with CTRL+C have killed editor

When I copy a output log with CTRL + C (not in right click menu), unreal editor dies.

UE 4.7.4

Windows 8.1 64bit

Hi HamkenDevelop,

I just tested this in 4.7.4 but I couldn’t get your results. Could you post the Callstack, Log, and Dmp files from the crash.

You can find instructions here.

Also post a copy your entire dxdiag? Go to the Start menu and type ‘dxdiag’ into the search bar. Open that file and then click ‘Save All Information’. Post that text file here.

Hi,
I’m sorry for my imperfect report.

Additional information here.

Branch: ‘Binary’ build from the Unreal Launcher

Build version: 4.7.4-2497108+++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7

Screenshots/Link to video:

dxdiag.txt

Editor Session Log

I noticed that this issue is occurred with to use Google Japanese Input.

Under English input or Microsoft Japanese IME, this issue does not occur.

But I wouldn’t like to use Microsoft Japanese IME, because it has a other problem which imposes a painfully slow process on UE4.

Do you happen to have a Wacom tablet plugged in? There is a known compatibility issue with Wacom tablet software and certain IMEs.

No, I didn’t use the Wacom tablet.

I’m sorry, I should have phrased that better. Do you have any Wacom/Bamboo software on your machine?

They are not installed on my machine.

At this point we need more debugging info. Would you be able and willing to download the Source version of the engine, compile it, and run it in debug mode?

I have never built UE4 editor from the source code and run it in debug mode.

If you instruct me how to build it and run it in debug mode, I will try.

Hi HamkenDevelop,

I’m sorry it’s been a few days. I believe we are going to need you to compile source in order to debug this issue.

• You will need to install Visual Studio 2013

• Afterwards, download the Source 4.7.5 zip from here: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/releases

• Unzip it wherever you would like it stored (Think of this as the install location)

• Run the ‘Setup.bat’ file

• Once finished, run the ‘GenerateProjectFiles.bat’

• Open the ‘UE4.sln’ (This will open VS 2013)

• Once loaded, make sure that the mode is set to Development Editor and Win64

• Right-click on UE4 and select ‘Build’ (This will take some time)

• When it is finished, navigate to: :\YourInstallLocation\UnrealEngine-4.7.5-release\Engine\Binaries\Win64

• Open UE4Editor.exe

• Create a new blank code project (It will open in VS)

• Right-click the project and select ‘Debug’ > ‘Start New Instance’

• On the popup window, click ‘Yes’ to build

• Once the project opens, recreate the issue and hang the editor (don’t close the editor)

• Go back to VS and press ‘Ctrl+Alt+Pause’ (This will take you where the editor is at in code)

• We need what is listed in the Callstack window (Feel free to take screenshots of the entire VS window as well)

Hi,

I built the UE 4.7.5 from the source code and then reproduced the issue.

The call stack list and some screenshots are as follows.

UE4 version:

After the Hit CTRL + C:

CTRL + ALT + PAUSE on VS:

Call Stack list:

[External Code]	
 	GoogleIMEJaTIP64.dll!00007ffb8aa48580()	Unknown
 	GoogleIMEJaTIP64.dll!00007ffb8aa490dd()	Unknown
 	[External Code]	
>	UE4Editor-Core.dll!FTextStoreACP::RequestLock(unsigned long dwLockFlags, HRESULT * phrSession) Line 197	C++
 	[External Code]	
 	GoogleIMEJaTIP64.dll!00007ffb8aa49bf9()	Unknown
 	GoogleIMEJaTIP64.dll!00007ffb8aa39f65()	Unknown
 	GoogleIMEJaTIP64.dll!00007ffb8aa3a84e()	Unknown
 	GoogleIMEJaTIP64.dll!00007ffb8aa33323()	Unknown
 	[External Code]	
 	UE4Editor-Core.dll!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages(bool bFromMainLoop) Line 774	C++
 	UE4Editor.exe!FEngineLoop::Tick() Line 2233	C++
 	UE4Editor.exe!GuardedMain(const wchar_t * CmdLine, HINSTANCE__ * hInInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, int nCmdShow) Line 142	C++
 	UE4Editor.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * __formal, int nCmdShow) Line 191	C++
 	[External Code]	

[Text file of call stack and autos list][4]

Curiously that seems to be going into TSF-based code despite supposedly being an IMM-based IME.

Could you try locally applying 23cb8cbc5b90b684f65edd2c0a21a731d219fd56 (it’s one line, so it’s probably simplest to copy/paste it, particularly if you didn’t get the source via git). That file can be found in Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Windows/TextStoreACP.cpp

Hi,

I tried test your suggestion.
The issue was fixed.

Does this fix to be approved in the next version?

Thanks for the great job!

Great, thanks for letting me know.

I’m going to see if I can get this into the next hot-fix (which will probably be 4.7.7).