Convert Material Instance to Material Layer

Seems like it would be very convenient and efficient to be able to convert a material instance into a material layer via right-click menu. From what I was able to learn about material blending, between 4.24 D3D Device crashes, layers are a new material type that can be used in a new layer blend type. I don’t really understand what’s going on under the hood, but I found myself pasting old material networks into a new layer material, and just hooking up the make material attributes at the end. Why not just convert materials or material instances into layers through a more direct means? Or, drag and drop material instances into blend layers. Their parameters could carry over and auto populate the layer parameters tab. I have no idea if this is even possible, just a thought.

1 Like

This would be Incredibly useful for me! I’m making a snow scene and currently I have to make a new snow version of all materials for all assets. But with this I could just make a snow layer and put that on top of all materials that I wan’t snow on top of!

BUMP

Can’t stress enough how much this feature would make life easier. It’s not a big deal when you have to convert one or two materials but as everyone knows, some projects are involving dozens and dozens materials that require masking.

If any of Unreal Devs are listening - guys, please really consider this.