Download

Convert Material Instance to Material Layer

Seems like it would be very convenient and efficient to be able to convert a material instance into a material layer via right-click menu. From what I was able to learn about material blending, between 4.24 D3D Device crashes, layers are a new material type that can be used in a new layer blend type. I don’t really understand what’s going on under the hood, but I found myself pasting old material networks into a new layer material, and just hooking up the make material attributes at the end. Why not just convert materials or material instances into layers through a more direct means? Or, drag and drop material instances into blend layers. Their parameters could carry over and auto populate the layer parameters tab. I have no idea if this is even possible, just a thought.

1 Like

This would be Incredibly useful for me! I’m making a snow scene and currently I have to make a new snow version of all materials for all assets. But with this I could just make a snow layer and put that on top of all materials that I wan’t snow on top of!