Controller pawn movement

Hello everybody,

I’m in the process of trying to make a hex based strategy game. I’ve been trying to figure out how to implement a commander type view, but I keep running into problems. I’ve tried putting the input events in the player controller and in the pawn. I can get events that only use the keyboard input to work, but I haven’t been able to get any mouse based movement to work. I think this might be because I have enabled click events and mouse over events, but I need the mouse to be enabled to interact with the map.

My end goal is to be able to use wasd to move in a plane perpendicular to the z axis, the scroll wheel to zoom in and out, the mouse when holding down the right mouse button to look up and down capped at looking up at a certain angle, and to have the camera such that it doesn’t clip through the edges of static meshes when zoomed in.

I thought a way of doing this would be to make an invisible static mesh with a spring arm attached to it. Right now I’m just trying to get the ability to move around the level. I’ve looked at a bunch of tutorials and I haven’t found any that have the mouse visible on the screen while moving the point of view for the player. Please help.

Here is what my pawn BP looks like right now. I’m just trying to rotate the screen and move in relation to the way I’m facing:

This is my Player controller settings. I’ve got mouse events turned on. I’ve turned replicate movement on and off it doesn’t seem to do anything:

And my axis mapping:

So I figured out what was wrong with the input. I needed to check the little boxes in the top right of the pawn settings that say to use controller rotation.

Now the problem I’m having is that my pawn isn’t colliding with anything. I’m not really sure why since I’ve got it set to collide with everything.