Everyone likes certain programs for certain tasks, but is this software already accepted in the community, Indie or AAA. What do you recommend for texturing, baking, modelling and at what skill level should you be to actually do something in the gaming industry?
What i have used over the past 6 years:
- Unity (Projects and engine basics)
- UDK (2 years for learning engine basics)
- Unreal Engine 4 (Using it sometimes)
- Maya (Started last year ,same skill-level as blender now; animation, modelling, uv and rigging)
- Blender (Learning modelling basics and techniques, used it for 6 years)
- Photoshop (Fixing Substance errors in texture maps)
- Substance Painter (Main program for texturing and baking)
Now a personal question, slowly people are going towards Substance for texturing, so for me as a 2nd year Game-Design student should i bother to learn the “legacy” tools or just continue with the latest since they are not widly common/accepted.