Constraint's angular limits failing when (too much) force is applied + bone stretching

Hello,

I did a setup of a skeletal mesh (complete hand), applied a physics asset including a physical animation profile. Then I locked all linear and angular limits except one angular limit to let the fingers be able to curl. Limit is set to around 40 degrees for each constraint and soft constraint is disabled. When simulating this setup within PhAT or in game everything and aspect is working fine and as expected. Most importantly the defined angles are kept and finger curling looks like it should. At least to the point where more and more force is applied and things go terribly wrong. In this case the simulation does not care for angular limits anymore, even angles that are locked start rotating. To make things even worse affected bones start stretching. Within PhAT it is not that easy to get to this point, I have to zoom out quite a bit so that I can pull over the mouse a good distance while interacting. In game this is much easier to achieve. I have attached the hand to a motion controller using a separate constraint and when touching static and simulated objects likewise, it looks like a very soft body (jelly) smearing over a wall while fingers can be easily broken. There’s an option “Max Force” for the motors, but these do not do the trick. I also tried to raise the values in the physical animation profile, yes, there’s a change, but this is also leading nowhere.

So what could be done to get this simulation to the point where

• bones do not stretch (ouch!)
  • and joints do not leave their rotation limits (ouch ouch ouch!)
    in any case?

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Did you ever figure it out?