Console-keybinding broken

Hi there,
I just started messing around with some new features of 4.9 when I found a tiny bug.
I wasn’t able to activate the console after hitting play (even after I switched to other keyboard layouts).
So I went to the keybinding section in the project settings and had to rebind the “^”-key.
Actually I found two versions of the “^”-key in the dropdown menu and hat to use the second one
to make the console appear again (or any other key).

[Edit:] Should have mentioned that this bug only appears after creating a new project in 4.9

Hi ,

Following the steps you described, I was unable to reproduce the issue of not being able to activate the Console, then having a duplicate “^” key listed in the dropdown menu when trying to rebind the Console key. These are the steps I followed, please correct anything I may have missed:

1. First, are you on a MAC or PC (I repro’d on a PC)
  2. Started a new Blueprint Third Person Project (w/ no Starter Content)
  3. Pressed Play
  4. Pressed “~” to bring up Console: Console was present
  5. Stopped game.
  6. Navigated to Project Settings/Engine/Inputs
  7. Added input for Console by pressing the “+” key
  8. Hit shift + 6 to get the “^” character
  9. Only one “^” appears in the drop-down
  10. Selected it
  11. Pressed play in editor
  12. Hit shift + 6 to activate the “^” character to bring up Console
  13. Console fails to open
  14. Change key to “*” key (from Num Keypad)
  15. Press “*” to bring up Console
  16. Console appears

To conclude I was not able to open the Console by hitting the “^” character, but also did not see a duplicate as you’ve described. Before I enter a bug report, I’d like to verify how you are selecting the “^”-key/character.

Thanks.

Hello ,
all your steps are correct.
I’m currently working on a PC and wether I include the startercontent or not makes no difference for me.

When I start a new project none of the preset console-keys are working for me,
neither " ’ " nor " ^ ". I tried switching from my german qwertz-layout to an us qwerty-layout but that didn’t change anything.

Since all your steps are correct and you were not able to open the console with the " ^ " key, I guess this key is not recognized by the engine (at least in the console/keybinding section).

The reason for the second “^” in the dropdown menu I dont know.
This was a clean install of the 4.9 version. The only reason I could imagine would be some discrepancy between different keyboard layouts.

Long story short:
I select the “^” character by pressing the same button as you for “~” next to the “1”,
only on a different keyboard layout (german):

Hi ,

Thanks for clarifying that you are on a German keyboard. This has already been reported as JIRA [UE-15466] on the following post: Console key in Editor with German keyboard layout…

I have added a link to this post in that report and commented that the community interest has increased. When this issue is addressed an update will be added to this post.

Thanks for the feedback.