Connecting Player Camera and Character

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to UE4 and am teaching my self from videos and the manual. I can’t figure out how to make the players camera tie into a character. The problem I’m running into, I made 2 AI bots that chase you when they see you. I didn’t want the ‘thirdperson’ character so I deleted him to put in the ‘firstperson’ character with the gun. I can add the characters into the map but they are just meshes that sit there. I guess my questions are:

1.) How can I just copy and past a character to make all of its functions tie in.

2.) Then assign the main player to that character?

A reference to any self help links would be awesome :slight_smile:

Thank you!

You cannot “just copy and paste a character to make all of it’s functions tie in.” In addition to the skeletal mesh, the character has to have a character blueprint (that interacts with inputs from the user to control movement, actions, etc.) and an AnimBlueprint (that controls what animations are playing for any given situation.)

What you CAN do is take a Mixamo Character or Epic Animation Starter Kit Character that has these already set up and replace their skeletal mesh with a custom one of your own by retargeting as described here: