ConfigBP - .ini configuration files, the easy way!

ConfigBP is an easy to use blueprint library for working with configuration files!

Available on the marketplace for a mere $4.99!

What is it?
ConfigBP Allows You To Easily Read And Write 11 Different Data Types From Any Configuration File, Including Engine Files (Like Scalability.ini & Game.ini).

Which Features Does It Have?

• Open Config File (accepts a relative & absolute path)
  • (4.18) (Linux/Windows) Dedicated Server Support
  • Read & Write as
  • Integer
  • Double
  • Float
  • Text
  • String
  • Color
  • Boolean
  • Vector
  • 2D Vector
  • Transform
  • Rotator
  • Access to standard .ini files
  • Game.ini
  • Scalability.ini
  • Input.ini
  • GameUserSettings.ini
  • Engine.ini
  • Open configuration files (using an absolute or relative path)

FAQ
Where Can I Find The Documentation?
They’re included in the Docs/ folder and are available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1…f-TXLOMM6zzzME

Where Can I Get ConfigBP?
ConfigBP Is Avialable On The Unreal Engine Marketplace. Find It Here: ConfigBP - Configure Your Game in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace

Do you have any feature requests or questions? Don’t be afraid to ask by leaving a reply or contacting me at [EMAIL=“howtocompute123@gmail.com”]howtocompute123@gmail.com!

A good idea at a fairly price, gratz!

Thanks for your kind words! :slight_smile:

ConfigBP’s Unreal Engine 4.17 update was released! We have thoroughly tested this release, but should any issues arise, please don’t hesitate to shoot me an email, leave a reply or send me a DM! Enjoy the 4.17 update :)!

[UPDATE]
We recently released another update to ConfigBP! We added a few new features, and fixed some of the issues you where experiencing. You can find the change list below:

[BUGS]

• Fixed bug where you was unable to promote a configuration file to a variable.

NEW FEATURES]

• Setting a string array - allows you to modify various provided configuration files and save your own arrays.
  • Getting a string array - allows you to read a string array from a configuration file.

[PLANNED]

• Clearing variables from a configuration file.
  • Giving the option to store configuration files in the game’s directory in shipping builds (currently defaults to AppData [on windows]).

Have you found any bugs? Or would you like to see new features? Please leave a reply to this thread, and I’ll be sure to take a look.

Hi,

Just to give you a tip (not sure if you have got this solved yet). Regarding on ‘configuration file change need to restart’ -> you can use C++ GConfig->Flush(true, <Full Path of INI file>);

[UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

We recently received multiple requests asking about (Linux) dedicated server support for ConfigBP. I’m afraid we’re currently experiencing a few issues in doing this (mainly related to the Source build differing from the Launcher Build for Unreal Engine 4.17 (and possibly others). We’re currently working on creating an update that fixes these issues and writing documentation that helps people who want to do this. Please note that this update will only be guarenteed to work with a source build on UE4.18, and with launcher builds for UE4.17 and UE4.16. I’m afraid that due to some limitations in how the marketplace works, UE4.15 has unfortionately hit end of support, and we’d like to urge people using this version to upgrade.

As for when this update will hit, we are currently unable to give you a deffinitive date. We’re working hard to release the update as quickly as we can, however, we cannot commit to a timeframe right now. We hope to have the update submitted within a week!

Have any other feature request and/or issues? Please don’t hesitate to leave a reply and/or (prefferably) send me an email. (email can be found in the documentation, plugin and on my marketplace profile).

[UPDATE SUBMITTED]

I have just submitted the required changes to support Linux & Dedicated Servers (update 1.0.4). I have exhaustively tested dedicated servers builds for both Windows, as well as Linux, and updated the documentation to show how to get them to work with a source build/dedicated server. I’m afraid I am currently unable to give an estimate of when the updates will be processed, but I hope this will be as soon as possible.

Once these updates (v1.0.4) have been processed, you may still experience issues with dedicated servers. If this is the case, please be sure to contact me with a reply to this thread, or an email (can be found on my marketplace sellers profile), so I can look into this. I have exhaustively tested the 4.18 version with a source build, and fully tested the 4.16 and 4.17 versions with engine builds to ensure this update didn’t induce any bugs. Please note that UE4.15 can no longer receive updates due to a few limitations in the marketplace.

I hope you’ll enjoy this update, and I can’t wait to see what you all create with this new ([Linux] Dedicated Server) ability!

Was about to buy this when I saw in the video that you need to restart if you change a value in the ini file. Rama’s plugin has the same problem. Any ideas on fixing this? Ideally i’d like to be able to re-read the file as a blueprint node, so I can tweak a value while the game is running.

Hi Dannington,

Though I do do everything possible, it isn’t currently possible to do this. This is mainly due to how Unreal Engine works. ConfigBP uses ue4’s default functions, just abstracts/adds ontop of it and allows you to use it from blueprint. This means that, due to the limitations in GConfig, you are required to restart your game/engine before the changes will be read. As someone suggested before, we do use

GConfig->Flush(true, Path);

however, this still doesn’t void the need of a restart.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and I hope you can figure out something that does work for you :slight_smile: The best of luck with the development of your game!

[UPDATE]
We now support (Linux) dedicated servers!
If you’re using a 4.18 source build of the engine, and are targeting the Windows or Linux platform as a dedicated server ConfigBP will work! We have also submitted patches for 4.16 and 4.17, however, are unable to test these against an actual source build due to some technical complications.

What does this mean for you?
ConfigBP’s dedicated server support allows you to add custom configuration files to your servers, meaning you can do all kinds of things ranging from making a user’s life configuring your server easier, to storing your production’s database credentials in a configuration file (instead of in your code), and even more! Here are some ideas to consider:

• Allow a MOTD (Message Of The Day) string to be set
  • Store your database username & password in a configuration file instead of your blueprints/source code
  • Distribute your server to your game’s users, and allow easy setting of the default game mode
  • And more!

As always, if you feel like there’s anything missing, or you believe you have found a bug, please send a reply to this forum thread, send me a forum DM, or shoot me an email!

hey there,

If there an example of how the key line should be formatted to be able to use the String as Array node. We are building a map cycle file and are having issues with the String and Text nodes accepting variable input for the key field. Increment an INT to read the next key name in the section doesn’t seem to work, or perhaps we are doing something wrong…lol.