Download

Config Editor

Config Editor with GUI for all existing configurations which normally can be applied only via .INI files.
This Config Editor will load/save all existing Engine/Game .ini files and show all information/hierarchy about existing and overrided options, or even Available but not used yet options + Default values/implementation for them + Description, using GUI.

I also think it would be interesting, this functionality could stay within the Project Settings, and thus allow the user to change these settings more quickly and easily, without getting out of the editor.
Once changed some variable, it could be suggested that the user restart the editor, for the changes to take effect.
+1

I actually had a tool that would read UE3 config files and give a regedit-style interface for editing them, including showing which settings had been modified, etc. It wasn’t sophisticated enough to show which files were overriding each other but it was still quite useful.
It was a standalone tool that used .Net/WPF (hence Windows-only), and given that we now have source access it seems redundant to have a custom library for reading and writing them, but I might post the code up in my Github account for people to look at if there’s sufficient interest.

Our goal is to remove the need for editing INI files altogether. Over the past few months we have made a strong push to expose as many settings as possible in the Editor Preferences and the Project Settings. Ultimately, the goal is to expose all important and frequently used configuration settings in the user interface, so that 99% of the users will never have to touch INI files ever again.

There may be some advanced settings that should be configurable, but will rarely be modified by anyone. Those will remain in the INI, yet be unexposed in the user interface. Since they are rarely modified, it probably does not make sense to have a tool for them (if such a tool was justified, then we should just expose these settings in the Project Settings as well).

Although not very well documented yet (I am planning to write a tutorial soon), the new Settings API also allows end users to expose their settings in the Editor Preferences and Project Settings, if desired. Therefore, custom settings created by subscribers and licensees also shouldn’t require the proposed tool. You can follow the examples in some of the plugins, for example UdpMessaging.

Let me know if you have any questions with regard to the Settings API.