Computer hardware to start with UE4? GPU?

Hi,

I’m wanting to start learning Unreal Engine 4, and was wondering what sort of hardware I’ll be needing to run it properly (something that isn’t possible with my current set up)

Most of my computer hardware should be ok I would imagine - I’m running a (the year just before they switched over to the new cylindrical version)

It has 8 gigs of RAM, an eight core xeon processor, but the real bottleneck is the GPU.

I only have the stock card in there which is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB, which can’t cope with the matinee fight scene project. Doesn’t even run it.
I didn’t expect it to, though, and so have come here to ask what sort of graphics card I should get?

Also, would a bump up to 16 gigs of RAM help?

Thanks for your time.

Take a look at this thread: https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?20643-Official-Hardware-Performance-Survey There you can find many specs + how they run the UE4 :slight_smile:
Yep, 16 GB of RAM are good when you do game development. The GPU always depends on your budget -> e.g in my case I use a gtx 660 ti which runs the UE4 pretty smoothly

thanks very much for the redirection, appreciate it

16GB of RAM is great for UE4, though I personally will be upgrading to 24/32 when I build a new PC. I am using the GTX 960 which is pretty good, I can even play some of the new games at 30-50 FPS, and it is good for it’s price, though I’d get the GTX 970 if you have the money.

One of my work machines is a 2010 & I’ve got one Nvidia 680 GTX card plugged into it and a Sapphire AMD 7950 as an alternative for testing. Both run UE4 reasonably well, though OS X’s OpenGL drivers end up very CPU-bound on this particular class of Mac.

Thanks for the heads up.

thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the information - I wasn’t aware of the Open GL situation.

Mine is a 2009 that I’ve upgraded to the 5.1 architecture that the 2010 + models have because it’s of course the same architecture. So the same as the one you’re using.

Is the the 2GB 680 card that you’re using?

In terms of the GPU, I’m not totally sure on what I actually need.

It’s mainly so I can run the software at a good rate without crashing and major slowdown.

As I already posted in another thread:

and

Thanks, informative thread.

In terms of what I want to be learning, it’s definitely the more hardware intensive stuff.

My is a 12 core xeon with 8GB of RAM.

The GTX 670 seems to be cropping up allot on the recommended card.

What’s your budget? A GTX 670 is a very strange choice for buying a new card 2015.

You are right, I would only recommend to buy a GTX 670 if you want to save money. And since we are in a students thread the TO may want to save some.

By the way, what sort of ram are you using for you ?

Thanks

Oh wait I just saw your OP. I suggest 16GB of RAM and an Nvidia 960 2GB minimum. The Nvidia 670, you’ll probably regret it, to be honest.

Check out: ://www.macvidcards/index.html …Note that it appears you have to use STOCK (ie. reference GPUs not third-party cards)

Yes, that is a good suggestion. If you plan on doing things closer to the AAA production level, you’ll want 24GB+ RAM, and a GTX 970. I work with landscapes 8x8KM+, and a GTX 960 isn’t sufficient enough when working with lots of foliage while all of the landscape is loaded.

Yeah the GTX 970 is the sweet spot for performance per dollar right now, really competent card that is way cheaper than the better ones (980, 980 ti and Titan x).

Just as an FYI: At least on OS X we can’t currently get 100% core utilisation out of an Nvidia 680 GTX within a 2010 (or earlier) due to some peculiarity within Apple’s OpenGL on these Mac models. I don’t see this problem on laptops, mini’s, iMacs or the new & it has been bugging me for ages now. As a result spending more on a newer Maxwell card may not result in the expected performance improvement - though as I haven’t personally tested such a card in my 2010MP your mileage may vary.

Why you all only mention Nvidia? The Radeon R9 390 has same prize as GTX 970, is a few percentages better but has two huge advantages, first one is it has 8 GB Ram compared to 3.5GB of the GTX 970 and second one is how Nvidia behaved in recent time, they lied about the 3.5GB in the GTX 970, they lied about support for asynchronous shaders in their current GPU generation. This alone would be enough reason for me to never buy an Nvidia again, at least not in the next few years until they might change their attitude to be a bit more truthful to their costumers.

Had never heard about that, thanks for letting us know, I’m sure most people wouldn’t even think that there might be problems like this.