Compiling Unreal Engine from Source - Painful. C++ Projects don't work - blueprints do.

I run into this error:

BuildMode.Execute: Command line: …..\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe -Target="MyProjectEditor Win64 Development -Project="F:\MyProject\MyProject.uproject" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild
HotReload.IsLiveCodingSessionActive: Checking for live coding mutex: Global\LiveCoding_F++UnrealEngine-4.27.2-release+Engine+Binaries+Win64+UE4Editor.exe
HotReload.IsLiveCodingSessionActive: Checking for live coding mutex: Global\LiveCoding_F++UnrealEngine-4.27.2-release+Engine+Binaries+Win64+ShaderCompileWorker.exe
HotReload.IsLiveCodingSessionActive: Checking for live coding mutex: Global\LiveCoding_F++UnrealEngine-4.27.2-release+Engine+Binaries+Win64+UE4Editor.exe
HotReload.IsLiveCodingSessionActive: Checking for live coding mutex: Global\LiveCoding_F++UnrealEngine-4.27.2-release+Engine+Binaries+Win64+ShaderCompileWorker.exe
ActionGraph.IsActionOutdated: dte80a.tlh: Produced item “dte80a.tlh” doesn’t exist.
ActionGraph.IsActionOutdated: Module.VisualStudioSourceCodeAccess.cpp: Prerequisite dte80a.tlh is produced by outdated action.
ActionGraph.IsActionOutdated: UE4Editor-VisualStudioSourceCodeAccess.lib: Produced item “UE4Editor-VisualStudioSourceCodeAccess.lib” doesn’t exist.
ActionGraph.IsActionOutdated: MyProjectEditor.target: Produced item “MyProjectEditor.target” doesn’t exist.
ActionGraph.IsActionOutdated: MyProjectEditor.target: Produced item “UE4Editor.modules” doesn’t exist.
ActionGraph.IsActionOutdated: UE4Editor-VisualStudioSourceCodeAccess.dll: Produced item “UE4Editor-VisualStudioSourceCodeAccess.pdb” doesn’t exist.

I have no idea why. I’m using VSCode 2019 and I compiled the engine from source without any issues. However, when I try to create a new c++ project, or add a c++ file to an existing blueprint project… i get into an endless cycle of “wrong engine version errors” and “can’t find modules” and “compile it with your IDE”.

I’m completely fully triggered right now.

I downloaded the engine from source. I built it. It took like two hours.
And then I go to create a new C++ Project. It gets created. It loads up in Visual studio.
I try to open the project in Unreal Engine. I immediately get a “Engine out of date - modules dont exist” error.

Any help? I have been trying to figure this out for 4 days. No documentation. No information about errors. C++ Projects wouldn’t even load until I followed this: c++ - Cannot compile unreal engine 4.25 with visual studio 2019.7.2 - Stack Overflow.

I have reinstalled the engine and downloaded it from source and compiled it about 6 times over the past 4 days. It’s not an installation error.

This error message suggests that there is a problem with the build process for your project, specifically with the Visual Studio Source Code Access module.

The first thing you can try is to check the version of the engine you are using and make sure it is compatible with the version of Visual Studio you are using. Then, you can try to rebuild the Visual Studio Source Code Access module with the latest engine version.

If that doesn’t work, you can also try to do the following:

• Check the Visual Studio Source Code Access module in the Unreal Engine source code and make sure that the files referenced in the error message exist and are in the correct location.
  • Make sure that the Visual Studio Source Code Access module is correctly configured in your project’s build settings.
  • Try cleaning your project and rebuild it.
  • Check the log file for more information about the error.
  • Make sure you are using the correct version of Visual Studio, If you are using an older version of Visual Studio, try updating it to the latest version.
  • Try to use the latest version of the engine, if you are using an older version of the engine, try updating it to the latest version.
  • If the problem persists, you can try searching for solutions on the Unreal Engine forums or contact Unreal Engine support for further assistance.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

• The project was compiled with the binary version downloaded (4.27.2) from the launcher. And the engine was compiled from source from the 4.27.2-release zip. So they should match unless for some reason they are different.

• The visual studio version is correct. VS2019.