Compile issues using in-editor compile button

Hi,

I’ve recently ran into issues when compiling my project using the Editor’s built-in Compile button. Essentially, when I compile the changes are not registered in game. For example, I have a simple function that when a key is pressed, an on-screen debug message of “Hello” is displayed. This has worked just fine for months and nothing has been changed here in terms of logic whatsoever. It works fine.

If I change this message to instead say “Goodbye” then compile, as I would normally, I see no change and “Hello” is still displayed. I’ve run into this issue a few times and usually compiling more than once or closing the editor etc. works well. This time however, nothing I do can fix this. The only way to apply the changes is to delete the project’s Binary folders and get the project to rebuild them but of course I can’t do this every time I make a change to the code.

A strange thing I’ve noticed is that if I purposefully make an error in the code (say by deleting a semi-colon) then compiling using the in-editor compile button, the compile still completes successfully. This suggests to me that perhaps Unreal isn’t syncing up with Visual Studio or something like that.

I’ve been banging my head against this wall for hours now so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Couple things I can think to try:

1. Make sure you’re actually working on the same code and not a copy in Visual Studio. Probably not the case but maybe something to check.

2. Close UE4, Close VS, Delete Items in your Binaries Folder (GameName/Binaries/Delete Everything Here), Right Click GameName.uproject file and Select “Generate Visual Studio project files”.

Hope it helps. Let us know.

Steoso