Compile error with UnrealEditor.exe? (5.4)

Hi

I added a new C++ class to my project(first C++ class) and whenever I want to start up my project now, I get a compile error through my Unreal Editor shortcut and it asks me to recompile, which fails and then asks me to start the project through the source project file instead(.sln file) and then compile through that.

Is this normal behavior? I haven’t used C++ for UE before, so I am totally green on this.

Hello @Kalryt

Was this a new project, or had you already worked on it?

Not a new project, I had already worked on it for a few days and set up some blueprints. I just needed some access to gravity, which you can’t get through blueprints and had to set up a new C++ class.

@Kalryt

The first thing that comes to mind is to duplicate the project folder and delete the .uasset file corresponding to your C++ class in the newly created folder.

Second, you could try creating a new project and transferring the Content folder from your project into it, and then deleting the .uasset file corresponding to your C++ class.

Be sure to back up your project to avoid damaging it.

For some reason I can start the project just fine through the Epic launcher > Unreal > Library, so there must have been some weird error with my shortcut to the unrealeditor.exe. Perhaps it has something to do with the editor preferences on what project/map to start up with.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

1 Like