Compile and Start Error under Linux

Hello there,

I have an error when compile under Linux.

kernel 4.1.11-1
clang 3.7.0-4
make 4.1-1
mono 4.0.4.1-1
qt 4.8.7-2
qt 5.5.1-1

i’am downloaded the zip from GitHub and unzipped it
then in the terminal “./setup.sh” after this “./GenerateProjectFiles.sh”

then “make CrashReportClient ShaderCompileWorker UnrealLightmass UnrealPak UE4Editor”

ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: /home/lucy/Programme/UnrealEngine-release/Engine/Binaries/Linux/libUE4Editor-ImageWrapper.so
Total build time: 2373,26 seconds
Makefile:188: die Regel für Ziel „UE4Editor“ scheiterte
make: *** [UE4Editor] Fehler 5

and startet it with this: "./UE4Editor "

./UE4Editor: symbol lookup error: /home/lucy/Programme/UnrealEngine-release/Engine/Binaries/Linux/libUE4Editor-Kismet.so: undefined symbol: _ZN26FGraphEditorDragDropAction9ConstructEv

second try:

nobody an idea?

You need to use Clang 3.5, not 3.9. My previous post was wrong, now I’m positive and have tested it: UE won’t build with version 3.9 and the errors would be exactly like you typed, it will be all gone after downgrading. Hope it helped you.

Another workaround you could use is the following:

Open the file "./Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Linux/LinuxToolChain.cs"

Insert the following piece of code after line 343

if (CompilerVersionGreaterOrEqual(3, 7, 0))
 {
     Result += " -Wno-shift-negative-value"; // Triggered by ThirdParty/libJPG due to usage of: (-1) << ...
 }

Rerun GenerateProjectFiles.sh

Rebuild Engine

Maybe works too install libjpeg-dev in your SO.

This worked for me. However, the UE4Editor won’t start. I’m a bit in a hurry, but can post the output later. I’m using radeonsi, is the UE4Editor working at all along with the free radeon drivers?

Short answer is no. Long answer is to not expect FOSS video drivers to do a solid job for anything graphic-intensive. UE4 kinda hits the high mark for graphic-intensive.

But you do know, that radeonsi is catching up on catalyst/fglrx?
Also, the officially by AMD supported driver stack on Linux is supposed to be building upon the current state of the foss drivers*. Catalyst will only reside for professional uses (FirePro). So sooner or later, ue4 should work together with the foss stack, as long at it wants to wear the attribute ‘linux-compatible’. I’d rather not start using the dropped catalyst now.

*plus the new amdgpu kernel module, which is designed for GCN>1.2 cards (currently tonga and fiji based products = 285, 380, Fury (X), Nano) but can also be activated for GCN 1.1. The current radeon module will be on par feature-wise and also be supported by amd for older gpus (GCN 1.0/1.1).

That will be great if/when it happens. And to be fair, somebody out there might have UE4 running on FOSS drivers; but I’ve only seen accounts of the failures.

I have additional Intel HD 4600 and it works with mess drivers. Using mesa 10.6.x or better use 11.x. Not sure how ue4 works with ati cards. Use clan 3.3, 3.5 or 3.6. Best 3.5. Everything above is not supported and causes compile issues.

Yeah, after I found a little time to investigate, this actually had nothing to do with the drivers but with my installed glibc, see this answer, if interested