Compilation on Windows 10

Ok. I guess there are some people, who are trying UE4 on Windows 10. Lets post here about encoutered problems and possible work arounds.

My problem looks like this:

5>  Building UnrealHeaderTool...
5>  rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
5>  PCH.Shared.CoreUObject.h.cpp
5>  PCH.Shared.Core.h.cpp
5>D:\Unreal\Source\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealHeaderTool\Resources\PCLaunch.rc(3): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'windows.h'.
5>D:\Unreal\Source\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\HAL\PlatformIncludes.h(8): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'new': No such file or directory
5>D:\Unreal\Source\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\HAL\PlatformIncludes.h(8): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'new': No such file or directory

But actually these files can be found, as the include paths in NMake configuration are correct. I checked for UHT project and for UE4 project.

Visual Studio also can’t open PCLaunch.rx (when double clicking in solution explorer), but opening in notepad seems fine.

Ideas ?

Hi, not sure at all about all of these errors, but:
1.if you look at PlatformIncludes.h(8): fatal error it tells you that it tries to include ‘new’. You would have to go inside it and check why is that.

Hope you will get around this issue.

Yeah it is here:
https://.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/blob/4.4/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Public/HAL/PlatformIncludes.h

And such file exist. The problem is that compiler can’t find it for some reason.

I will be giving it a try over the weekend, so I will record any issues I have when I try.

Interesting. When I do Rebuild on UE4 source it compiles.

Edit:

The same goes for game project, which is build against source. Incremental build throw the same errors, full rebuild works. Well of course, when you build against source, rebuild game means rebuild engine source as well.

Windows 5 and 7 were good but 6 and 8 sucked. Given that history, not sure why they would skip 9 and go straight to another crappy release… :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I hope it is worth it this time. :slight_smile:

@

I believe that as long as they will keep their Metro style very few people will actually like it. I do not like it at all. Very simple colors, shapes, like some poor quality website made by a kid. Nope.

[QUOTE=
@

I believe that as long as they will keep their Metro style very few people will actually like it. I do not like it at all. Very simple colors, shapes, like some poor quality website made by a kid. Nope.
[/QUOTE]

lol the things u hate about it are what I like about it, I have always preferred simple colors and shapes. Even in previous iterations of Windows, I have disabled all fancy effects and stuck to as simple look as I could get. So I guess its to each their own. There will always be people who will not like the metro style, but there will also be people who prefer it as well.

Oh well since thread derailed a bit…

I couldn’t care less how my windows looks, because I rarerly see nowdays. Photoshop has it’s theme, Visual Studio it’s own, modo it’s own, Substance Painter it’s own… Unreal Editor… you get the idea.

If it was like MacOS X where lots of applications share at least few things in common in terms of looks, then maybe I would care. As it is now. Whatever.

I like tiles in start menu though.

Didn’t say hate. Said don’t like it.

And you with full honesty telling me that windows 8 is more attractive than 7? Not for me. Almost every aspect of Windows 8 is less attractive than the one from 7.

1. How the window frame look
  2. How the “wait circle” look
    etc etc.

I don’t know how others but to me look is very important. I cannot work (or prefer not to) if the application is designed with unattractive look. And Windows 8 (to me) is designed like some poor website. Only the simplest colors, shapes. Come on…

I believe that generally majority of people do not like it. That is one of many reasons why windows 8 is a flop.

And I’m not saying tiles are a bad idea. No. But for the love of hell, make them so they look attractive.

Visual Studio doesn’t have its own theme. It has metro theme. If you look at threads around the time VS was released with that theme you’ll find that all it did was enraged people.

Can we return to the topic?

I’m going to be setting up on Windows 10 soon to test it out at the least, and I’d be interested in a solution to the compilation issue.

I have had no issues building 4.5 preview on Windows 10 from source.

Cool, good to hear. I imagine it’s something to do with OP’s config then.

Dunno. Rebuild works. Build doesn’t.

Apologies for that.

Got my Windows 10 test build up and running. Did a full build of UE4 4.5 preview, then setup a C++ project, built that successfully. Added some variables and functions to the character .h/.cpp. Did just a normal build, all successful. So no issues here.

So I made some more tests today and…

I thought the reason it doesn’t compile might be, that I formated my drives with ReFS instead on NTFS.

I moved all unreal files to another drive, reformated as NTFS, and moved back to old drive but now formated as NTFS. Guess what… it didn’t helped.

ThenI thought. Well I just reinstall windows. (but I have restored drive to ReFS). Reinstaled, instaled VS, tried to build engine from source. Ratatmatma… The same error.

At this point I just don’t know. The only option left, is to reinstall Windows again, and format drive as NTFS, before I move anything to it. But I can hardly believe that file system on hdd could cause this error.

edit:
Ok. My brain hurts right now.
When I tried to run Build.bat directly from console… it works! But invoking it trough viual studio doesn’t.

Edit2:

Turned out issues were caused by using ReFS file system. Simple reformat didn’t cut. What I had to to, is to reformat all drives, and then reinstal windows. Now it appears to be working properly.

But why using different file system would cause such strange behawior is beyond me. Especially if you read entire post it seems very odd. Because compilation didn’t only work when started from Visual Studio.