Compilation button causes editor to crash but compilation works in Visual Studio. Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000019

I am having an issue that is bugging me. I recently switched a project from 4.23 to 4.25 and that had worked fine and then later switched from Visual Studio 2017 to Visual Studio 2019 and now I am running into an issue where if I try to compile with the compile button in the editor then the editor will crash and give the crash message (see below). Compiling directly in Visual Studio seems to work just fine but trying to compile in the editor will crash it. I have tried to find this error but I’m not sure what is going on.

Crash message

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000019

UE4Editor_CoreUObject

UE4Editor_CoreUObject

UE4Editor_CoreUObject

UE4Editor_CoreUObject

UE4Editor_CoreUObject

UE4Editor_HotReload

UE4Editor_HotReload

UE4Editor_Core

UE4Editor_Core

UE4Editor_Core

kernel32

ntdll

Probably accessing a nullpointer somewhere during construction of an object or at BeginPlay.

Have you tried launching the editor from Visual Studio (select “DebugGame Editor” or “Development Editor” in the Visual Studio solution configuration dropdown list. This should be to the left of the green “Run” button in the Visual Studio control bar)

You might be able to see where the exception is fired when you the editor from Visual Studio.

I just find it weird that this is happening now when everything was working fine before. Not sure what changing the Visual Studio version would affect this. I ran the editor from visual studio and tried to compile from the editor again and I got this exception. I can also provide the log file since I’m not sure what part might explain what is happening.

I looked up the CoreUObject error from the previous comment and installed the “Editor Symbols for Debugging” options under the engine options. But now I am getting a somewhat different crash error

Can you show us the “Output” window of VisualStudio in that very case please.
There has to be more info on what is causing the exception

greet

After running the editor through Visual Studio I get the following output shown in the screenshot. I have also attached a text file with the output messages from where I believe the hot reload (pressing the compile button in the editor) started to where it stopped and threw the exception.

[link text][1]

Is there any recommendations to find what is accessing the nullpointer?

Any suggestions to find the source of the null pointer?

It’s been a while! Just curious if you ever found a way to find the source of the null pointer?