Community Tutorial: Unreal Engine 5.2 : What You Need to Know About the Substrate Material!

Looking for a satisfying way to improve your graphics skills? Then you should check out Unreal Engine 5 2. This Substrate Mat is perfect for users of Unreal Engine 4 or 5!

This mat helps you learn the ins and outs of realism in gaming, from character movement to environmental foliage. With this mat, you’ll be able to create stunning graphics that impress even the most veteran developers!
n this tutorial, I am going to talk about Unreal Engine 5.2 - Procedural Content Generation in Games
just to give you a preview of how it works

leave your comments and subscribe for more
#unrealengine #unrealengine5 #gdc #nextgen #fortnite #gamedevelopment #substration

https://dev.epicgames.com/community/learning/tutorials/0Kj6/unreal-engine-5-2-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-substrate-material

1 Like

Not sure what this brings us, other than clicking around the graph and talking about what was already talked about. Good on ya for the effort, but it seems a bit spammy, along with the same videos others are making out there, that go along the lines of:

“Check out this tutorial that will step your game up!”
Clicks around node graph, noting how they don’t know what any of the stuff does

Clicks around more, mentions there isn’t any documentation out there yet
“RIGHT. So like and subscribe, comment below!”

I don’t believe this sort of thing belongs in our knowledge base, but that’s just me. It’d be great if we can keep the knowledge base full of solid knowledge, and not start to get littered with “ums and uhs” and clickbait.

Again, good on ya for the effort, I’ll never knock anyone for putting in their time. But maybe this shouldn’t be added here? This should stay a sacred space, full of awesome knowledge, not adverts and quickshots for the views and revenue.

There’s been a rise in the last couple years from independent, even out-of-school, amateurs “developers” - more like “gamedev content creators” really - and those channels just spam content for the most basic stuff that you could find over and over for the last 10 years. It’s nothing cutting edge, it’s just about taking the spot for things that do not (or not yet) have a video for. It’s usually a new feature for the engine or [this one game]'s mechanic.

Surely in most cases, you get a working example for something, like say, a lock-on camera for your controller character etc. That’s practical, functional stuff for anyone jumping into Unreal and willing to understand the ropes along the way. Those videos argue on readability and compactness: why bother making a 1hr long tutorial that covers concepts, features and conception when you can have a few bullet points and do a 5min application?

This never is a 3D lead supervisor of [famous AAA studio] talking about the new feature with an example at hand. That’s paid stuff that only a few actually manage to make time and good tutorial. And those people, I keep saying they’re not on Youtube (or very rarely, and besides things like GDC) because they do the actual stuff on the daily and are busy enough.

I understand where you are coming from… but the question is that will you watch an hour-long video explaining in detail what is going on in there. Currently, the tutorials i am making are just overviews and a few requests from my subscribers. So maybe you might not get anything from it but someone might. So don’t say " Not sure what this brings us" but rather direct it to yourself, please. As I said in the video it is a request from a subscriber and I guess you missed that because you didn’t watch the whole video… so sorry to say … it’s not click bait or spam…

I agree with the logic behind those points. That being said, I could link a dozen creators who have great tutorials that don’t cost money and go in-depth without taking an hour to do so. For example, here is a video that actually is a tutorial on Substrate (rather than a commercial) by Smart Poly:

The community has a vast array of resources like this. All I’m putting on the table, and will continue to be stubborn about, is that we keep the Learning center clean and tidy. As a long-time developer, it always hurts to see communities get full of spam and disorganized content.

Some things make it past the reviewers before posting to the Learning center, so it’s really up to us to hold a high standard for what goes here. The forums, other platforms such as YouTube, Discord, etc would be great for these other types of content.

I don’t need to direct my point to myself, I’m the one who made it and am well aware of it. Again, not sure what this brings to the Learning center aka us. As in us here at the Learning center. Your video is great for your subscribers on your YouTube channel, but doesn’t seem to fit here. That’s why it appears to be clickbait in my eyes.

Here is another example that doesn’t seem to fit (not picking on GorkaChampion, or anyone for that matter, this is just an example):

Why do we need an overview of a content pack from Megascans here in the Learning center? Do we need a “tutorial” on how to go to the Unreal Engine Marketplace? Do we need a “tutorial” on the fact that Megascans gives us awesome resources? Read the overview there, and tell me that doesn’t sound like viewership funneling. Honestly.

Now, the overview for this Substrate entry wasn’t even written with care and the Learning center in mind, it was copy/pasted to several platforms without any edits. That’s viewership/hit funneling. Call me crazy? If I’m crazy, my deepest apologies. Run wild.

Here’s a simple way to wrap up and summarize where I’m coming from:

If a Learning center (which is a knowledgebase platform) resource doesn’t fit into one of those categories and teach us something tangible, and the overview sounds like a campaign to get more viewership… Post it elsewhere and be a good community contributor.

I know I sound like a cranky old lady. I really do. Understand that I’ve been in this community for over a decade, and it’s been a constant battle to keep the various resources healthy, organized, and free of litter. If people don’t start voicing these things and get the dialogue rolling, it gets out of hand. It has before, and will likely again. The community side of this coin really does take the community taking part and working together.

5 Likes

noted

How can I make Cel shading materials using pure substrate (no legacy) and without post processing !?