Community Tutorial: Introduction To Motion Matching (UE 5.4)

A short 13 minute primer to getting very basic motion matching working in Unreal Engine 5.4 while we all wait for that awesome sample project with the 500 animations!

https://dev.epicgames.com/community/learning/tutorials/r63d/unreal-engine-introduction-to-motion-matching-ue-5-4

1 Like

There seems to be a strange pattern in all the motion matching tutorials that could be misleading or maybe i’m missing it.

You don’t need to check root motion and force root in order for it to work all that does is enable root motion ONLY when you set “Root motion from everything” in the animbp which no one seems to be setting.

Instead now it uses the capsule movement coponent and walking speed to move the character.

It can work both ways so long as you set it correctly depending on the requirements.

Motion matching still has trouble and lack of control at first glance of having characters play their Pivoting animations correctly or their stopping animations. Make sure to provide both left and right foot animations in the processing for all animations that require stopping or pivoting. That could help avoid jitters and snaps.

I would wish Epic integrate an automatic “mirror animation” function somewhere to quickly be able to mirror those leg motions and poses when needed, especially now it could be very useful for motion matching.

There is mirroring of animations for motion matching

There is a “Mirror” checkbox in Motion matching I didn’t dive into it deep enough, but I did give it a quick go with no results. If this is what you referring to and you have a working workflow feel free to share it.

Usually I would expect to create a separate Mirrored Anim file and feed it into Motion Matching as its own Animation.

So far without plugins I haven’t found anywhere in the Engine we can Mirror animations.