Community Tutorial: Implementing a landscape with a virtual heightfield mesh.

This tutorial will describe the steps to create a landscape that renders to a virtual heightfield mesh.

The heightfield mesh is an experimental feature within Unreal that creates an endlessly tessellating surface which can render-out height information. Think of it like a flat-sheet that one feeds the Z-position to via a runtime virtual texture (RVT) stack. Things render into the RVT which then drives the look and position of the heightfield mesh.

If you were previously using landscapes with traditional tessellation, then this is the new, mechanical replacement for such a thing.

https://dev.epicgames.com/community/learning/tutorials/ZZzk/unreal-engine-implementing-a-landscape-with-a-virtual-heightfield-mesh

1 Like

UPDATED: fixed the lighting issue caused by not having hidden-shadow enabled for the landscape. updated the relevant pic and part of the tutorial. your landscapes should now properly cast shadows into the world, properly creating dark areas, lee in the light.

1 Like

Thanks for the tutorial! Following this is the first time I’ve been able to get good results using RVTs + VHM on a landscape.

I noticed there is a single error in your doc though:
The chapter where you describe setting RVT Height Properties, the image there is the Details Panel for the Landscape actor, not the RVT_Height object :wink:

I was able to figure out what to set in the RVT_Height object properties by reading your notes later in the post, but just wanted you to be aware of that as it took me a few minutes to realize that I was not in fact missing something haha

Fixed, and a couple other things fix. I think I might have transposed the pictures but I went through again to make sure they are where they are supposed to be.

Added a couple more for verbosity (on the Main objects).

1 Like

nice job. this tutorial helped a lot of people to make anew game mechanics with a vacuum cleaner. may be you can extend a tutor with this mechanics.

lolwut?? :crazy_face:

1 Like