[Community Project] WIP Weather & Water Shader

Hey ,

Glad you were able to figure out how to add fish. I have some good news too! I finally got a OK implementation of obstacle avoidance working and am planning on uploading a tutorial and a package v0.15 tonight. A lot of improvements have been made since v0.1, so you may want to hold off on fine-tuning any fish blueprints you created.

EDIT: New tutorial:
U0rjMFzbqW8

Cheers,

Hi . First, thanks for working on fantastic project.

So, i have the same problem

Searching for the reason of that problem i noticed that water reflections works only if a skylight is placed in the world.

Is there a solution to make reflections working without using a skylight?

Thanks

Hmmmā€¦ going to have to look into what is causing these Plugin issues, donā€™t know why it has to be so difficult to make a plugin. :confused:

The Skylight is required for the specular highlights, 4.8 will have SSR for translucency which will allow for actual reflections. Currently the translucency setup in UE4 is limited, but there are many improvements coming in 4.8 that will be implemented asap. You can try adding a Reflection Capture Sphere to the scene as a movable object, with a skylight it boosts the specular even further.

Try and keep the plane right at 0 on the z-axis in world. It is not required but seems to work out the best.

There are many other replies above I will try to get to morning (just woke up :p), first though I want to find out whatā€™s causing the plugin issues. Sorry for the issuesā€¦

Hmmmā€¦ going to have to look into what is causing these Plugin issues, donā€™t know why it has to be so difficult to make a plugin. :confused:

The Skylight is required for the specular highlights, 4.8 will have SSR for translucency which will allow for actual reflections. Currently the translucency setup in UE4 is limited, but there are many improvements coming in 4.8 that will be implemented asap. You can try adding a Reflection Capture Sphere to the scene as a movable object, with a skylight it boosts the specular even further.

Try and keep the plane right at 0 on the z-axis in world. It is not required but seems to work out the best.

There are many other replies above I will try to get to morning (just woke up :p), first though I want to find out whatā€™s causing the plugin issues. Sorry for the issuesā€¦
[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for incredible work! :slight_smile:

I know how difficult could be make plugin works fineā€¦

Actually Iā€™m starting with ue4, but Iā€™m sure, that with a couple of months, I would help you with your job! :slight_smile:

I had buoyancy points setup in blueprints. The buoyancy without physics used the pivot of the mesh and** ignored the test points.**
The buoyancy with physics used the mesh geometry and ignored the test points yet again. I followed that video tutorial and it didnā€™t produce satisfactory results.

Perhaps the community cannot do what I thought yet.

I had some high expectations because of video below:Fs2RxrdpwQo
Now the author did mention at the time when he posted awhile back, that he did his own buoyancy code.
Given is a community project, and buoyancy code was ultimately added, I was under the assumption that his work was implemented.

When I contacted him (TkMaster), he failed to mention that infact it was NOT implemented into the community code.
was infact the response I got from him, when I asked how I could do the exact same thing with my galleon.

So when was he going to tell me ā€œoh btw, you also need my script to do itā€? After I spent 2 hours messing with it and writing posts.

So some of the mystery is now solved. So for anyone else getting all excited about that video, yeah just pretend it doesnā€™t exist, its a big tease.

I had to remove the .cppā€™s and header files and recompile. It kept crashing my project :frowning:

The new fish code or the old code? Do you remember the error your were getting?

Itā€™s my own code what you see at that video but that doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t make something similar with the current buoyancy code, because you can!

I never said it would work perfectly right off the bat with the instructions I gave you, I was just trying to help you get started since it sounded like you donā€™t know how to use the buoyancy component.

I donā€™t think anyone here said that everything works perfectly without some tinkering around :stuck_out_tongue:

I get your frustration but no need to be rude! eventually it will be more simplified and I also plan to share my buoyancy code and other shader improvements for those who are interested.

Would it be okay if I make my own fork of the project? :stuck_out_tongue: that way I could share some of the experimental stuff I am working on, and if there is something you like, you are more than welcome to add it to the ā€œā€ branch :wink:

I am looking into what is causing the plugin, it is not working correctly.

If you canā€™t wait for that, download version without the plugin:

project is still an early work in progress with many rough edges that I work on in my spare time. It is no where near ready to be dropped into a game and work flawlessly, it is just a starting point to build from.

More features will be added as I am able to, but I cannot make any guarantees on when certain features will be added. As I mentioned yesterday in my PM I am working on improvements to the the test point creation system, and hoped to have it completed yesterday, but it is no use if the plugin isnā€™t working. As soon as I have a solution I will let you know.

Thank you.

For sure it would! I can add you to the ā€œorganizationā€ created on , could you let me know your user ? (here or pm?) Would really like to see what you have been working on!

Sorry if I was rude. I am however justified in feeling bitter. I wasted a considerable amount of my time and got nowhere.
Iā€™m already stretched thin with my project, because the 2 artists I have are not helping me at all with anything. Iā€™m doing everything myself, on top of managing the team, on top of learning an entire new engine and editor and the workflows for everything. So Iā€™m already feeling like there isnā€™t enough hours in the day, and only so much my can absorb in a day before the headaches come and before Iā€™m just completely exhausted.

Diftow,

I think anyone on these , or in game development in general who has had to deal with creating any sort of finished product has dealt with the frustration and time commitment that comes with it. That is not to say that work isnā€™t incredibly rewarding for those that enjoy overcoming these challenges. Most of us have had to deal with some sort of lousy co-worker or teammate in the past, but that doesnā€™t give anyone the right to feel bitter or lash out at work that is entirely free, whose creator is not paid, and whose purpose is betterment of community content. Iā€™m not trying to be a jerk, but please consider the amount of hours and frustrations that has gone through for people like YOU before posting about feeling cheated out of YOUR time if not everything is polished and documented perfectly.

The only criticism I gave was directed at TKMaster for failing to inform me that his video was done on a different system and code, when I asked him how to do it in private message.
resulted in me trying to achieve the same results when I otherwise would not have, if he hadnā€™t omitted that very crucial information.
I have not criticised nor have I blamed him for my challenges. Iā€™ve apologised to TKMaster. Please do not distort the situation.

FishCode.zip dlā€™ed on march 6th. I had some weird issues adding the new c++ files in the editor and then replacing them and then recompiling so its probly an on my end. I cant remmeber the error sorry. Fish isnt a major thing in our game, I just wanted to test it out.

Ok cool,

I forked 's repo on and will be implementing them into my own fork today. If that goes well we should be able to easily add it to the plugin. Thanks for testing it out by the way!

So apparently the was the other package. I tried your pre-built and it works properly on that.

But I do have a question about what I had to enable to get working properly.

Right now the Galleon mesh has physics enabled, and the collision is set to ā€œuse complex as simpleā€.
Without that, it just simply doesnā€™t use the buoyancy points.

What Iā€™m curious is does that mean that 1000s of polygons on my mesh are being calculated during the collision/buoyancy with the waves?
Or does your system ignore the geometry of the mesh and just require ā€œuse complex as simpleā€ for the buoyancy points to register?

EDIT: Okay its getting confusing again <_<
You see those red spheres? Those are just component shapes, they represent where the buoyancy points are. If I remove those, the ship doesnā€™t float anymore, even though the buoyancy test points are still there! O_O
Iā€™m really confused now.

Iā€™m going to make a video about it cause its just better to show than to try and explain. Iā€™ll post it here when its ready.

Donā€™t quote me on as I havenā€™t tested it that much, but the buoyancy forces do not work well with complex collision, you should make a simplified collision mesh (thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing at least).

My guess would be that the buoyancy is applying the forces to the component spheres since it sounds like the galleon does not have a collision mesh.

And by the wayā€¦ yes, ā€œuse complex as simpleā€ means per-poly collision and itā€™s expensive (avoid it whenever possible!).

I just donā€™t understand why collision matters if I am specifying buoyancy points. Iā€™m trying to understand how the system works, and the fact that it needs the buoyancy points in 4 locations with collision data is like having the same collision data twice. I donā€™t get it.

But that aside, I donā€™t want the collision that I use for the to be the same as the collision I use for players walking on the ship, or ships colliding with other ships :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a way I can make it so the only collision used for the ship and is just 6-8 spheres like Assassins Creed? And then I can use different collision for other stuff?

EDIT: I tried adding 6 simplified sphere colliders and using ā€œuse simple as complexā€, and is what happens O_O

If that isnā€™t weird enough, wait till you see ! So I tried using complex collision again with these shape components (red spheres) cause I accidentally discovered that made the ship buoyant properly.

The red spheres are ā€˜shapeā€™ components, not colliders (cause apparently colliders do nothing <<). These shapes not only seem to suddenly make buoyancy work, even though they are nowhere near the waterline, but when physics is tested against the landscape, the red spheres collide, not the shipā€¦ even though collision is set ā€œuse complex as simpleā€ in case. <<
It should be trying to collide the entire mesh, but for some unexplained reason, the spheres are the only thing colliding with the terrain. For some explained reason, these sphere ā€˜shapesā€™ make buoyancy work, when sphere colliders do not. It is all very confusing.

If you need more information, let me know :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you show my your physics asset for the ship, I had to do something funky to get my AI to collide with another while using the Buoyancy on them. also may help, if your Collision for your mesh is not set correctly http://i.imgur.com/FgrAbrb.png

I really appreciate your hard work. I am like a kid leaning over the store shelf excited to get his sweets from the store clerk with lips drooling. I want to play with your Buoyancy structs setup as soon as you release it. Thank you so much for all that you do.