[Community Project] WIP Weather & Water Shader

If you want to contribute any fish meshes, they will soon be a part of project, and I would add you as a contributor here.

I can do programmer art quickly, but I probably wouldnā€™t have the time to do anything polished since Iā€™m working on my own game and donā€™t really have much art help.

Iā€™m having a little dilemma with figuring out how to get objects to collide with the surface. If anyone knows how, please help me! :stuck_out_tongue:

Want to get galleon floating =3

How do I get simple sphere collision to collide with the surface?

Also, how do I use complex collision for players walking on the ship, while using simple sphere collision for the ?

Any specific fish you want? Whats your poly budget? Diffuse map. Spec map? Normal Map? Displacment map? Bump map?

Add your mesh to a Blueprint, and add a BuoyancyMovementComponent to the components tree as well as your mesh.

Thank you! Some great ideas in here! We were disabling buoyancy while underwater and reverting to vectors. Did you convert your entire buoyancymovement.cpp code into BP for little demo, because I (weā€™re) wondering how to get the test points in the regular projects so we can set a bunch of them in a series of nested structs (testpoints_front_left_struct, TP_front_right_Struct, TP_front middle_struct, TP_front_struct, TP_front_up_struct, TP_front_down etc. all holding say 4 test points each which we can adjust the bouyancy of as a group.

I will be adding in these structs to the code in the plugin, which can then be used by the BuoyancyMovementComponent code as well as your blueprint. Improving the workflow for buoyancy setup is badly needed atm, and seems to be an interesting way of simplifying it all (thanks again !).

Just so I understand you correctly you want individual points as well as a container struct that can hold multiple points?

I would say under 1000 polys, I will check with my artist to see what range he stayed within. Any fish that can be found on earth will do :). At least a texture map, but a bump map would be appreciated too!

Bump (greyscale for bumpiness) or normal map (purple green blue kinda for faking geometry)

I wouldnt mind modelling a few. Rigged? .fbx format I assume? +z up +x forward 1x scale sized to the what they would be in real life?

is how we plan to implement it for all types of ships yes. That way fishing boat can have just 4 test points on all 4 corners, but a tanker could have say 20 structs of 4 test points each to represent watertight compartments. Then if that area is damaged it will apply a negative buoyancy (drag the boat down, sink) at that point. Warships would have more structures (more collections of test points) because they are hardier.

The problem we faced was we had to disable buoyancy once underwater so that idea only worked on the surface until showed us that little demo. Gonna mess with it and see if we can maintain a buoyancy value across all test points under and above water, we also faced the that underwater it would rock based on the waves since it tests from the waves height if Iā€™m not mistaking.

@, That would be amazing! .fbx is best for sure.

I know some of our current fish are rotated to face +Y, so I created the fish blueprint so you could rotate the fish mesh, but facing the +X is much better, since you can plug in the model without doing any rotations. Same thing with scale, right now one has to manually scale in the blueprint editor in UE4 (Which isnā€™t terrible since 1 unit = 1cm) At some point Iā€™ll have our artist go in and change all the current ones to +X and correctly scale in maya to shorten implementation time. If you plan on doing a larger underwater creature then include a swim animation of some sort, if itā€™s a small fish it doesnā€™t need an animation. I donā€™t think our current fish have bump or normal maps, but having them does increase quality, so itā€™s completely up to you :)! Incredibly thankful for the offerā€¦ if you donā€™t mind me asking, what fish do you have in mind?

Edit: I think itā€™s a good idea to have a standard scale and direction for the fish project as +X and scaled to real life. I will add that as addition requirements for future addition, and ensure the old models follow standard when my artist or I has a . ( I can maya too XD)

Cheers,

Alright, next. How do I make it so the buoyancy is based on 8 collision spheres and not the pivot of the static mesh so my ship isnā€™t underwater? :slight_smile:

As long as youve set the set points to where you want your water line to be and there is 4 in a rectangle (to start) you should be able to drag it above the water and it will float. Otherwise it weights too much so you need to apply a mass scaler node or adjust the buoyancy value.

I just looked through the source code, didnt realized you had just recreated it in blueprint. I should be able to migrate it across to have a blueprint verison of the buyouancymovementcomponet.cpp thanks!

• I see you are from Vancouver, I myself am from Vancouver too (born and rasied) - recently moved to Lillooet! Thanks for the welcome - Iā€™ve been a casual reader of the for a while now - first time getting involved.

Iā€™ll give your spline tool a try. Iā€™ve got some good Flowing water textures that I could use to give the better effect.

:
Hi, Iā€™m 's artist. Iā€™ve been keeping the poly count as low as I can without sacrificing shape. I havenā€™t been following any strict number, especially since thereā€™s a large range of size and detail with fish. For most, just color is fine, but bump is always helpful. Iā€™ve only been rigging/animating the largest fish. Realistic scale and +x forward is great, I still need to do that with my fish. And any real fish is good, especially the ones people know. Iā€™ve been working with common North Atlantic fish so far.

I donā€™t see rectangle with 4 points. Iā€™ve been trying to do for hours :frowning:
Can you send me an example scene or be more specific?

guy used spheres along the base of the ship, like Assassins Creed. How do I do that? Skip to 1:15 into video.

I know how to make and place sphere colliders, but not how to make the buoyancy use those instead of the model. I donā€™t want to calculate buoyancy on the actual mesh, and 4 points on a rectangle seems too low.

EDIT: I tried adjusting the pivot to see if the buoyancy location would change, and it did, so the buoyancy is based on the pivot location entirely.
That rules out weights being too much, and it shows its not using ā€˜4 pointsā€™ either, just 1 pivot. is not what I want at all. How do I fix ?

Thank you! is so great and so are you :smiley: I was gonna make a pictorial for other nubs like me but is really well explained.
Maybe one more thing - packaging the whole thing* still requires using Visual Studio? Because I get a plugin-missing error code and fiddling around with the Engine.ini didnā€™t work out too great.

*my project, not -1.0

No gaurentees but I have free time Iā€™ll do some random fish from all over the world. Im currently trying to figure out how to implement the fishmanager.cpp and fishflock.cpp and their header files into my project. I made new blank classes in my project named that and then I pasted over the files from the .zip. Do I need to compile it somewhere or download a plugin for visual studio?

If I have time Iā€™ll make a video. Busy day my partner is off so Iā€™m able to work in peace so to speak.

watch?v=-J77AKfMVis

For people that keep asking how.

Hi!

After a toug battle, I have managed to add the vaOcean in a 4.6.1 project! :slight_smile:

Now, I add the in the mapā€¦ I setup the parameters and It looks pretty well!

My problem, is that when I move it more than a ā€œrangeā€, the textures of it disappear.

Nothing like an image:

As you can see, in the second image I changed the axis down.

Furthermore, I tried to change the axis of the rest of the map (up). The problem is, that when I re-built the lights, I have the same texture error on my sea.

Thanks

No ideas there. I recompiled the project with the fish addon, will be testing it out. Will compile a clean project with fish and zip it up upon request. Not hard to do yourself if you have visual studio.