[Community Project] FREE Ocean Water Shader

Is there a working fix for true sky and translucency issues ?

Please check here:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/work-in-progress/17331-community-project-wip-weather-ocean-water-shader?p=1452255#post1452255

There is a change you need to do in the ocean material when using True_Sky in order to fix this which involves the use of a special node which is available when True_Sky is installed.

Thank You very much , master !

What to do now when Sky becomes dark when I place Ocean Blueprint into level [UE 4.20.3 ] ? And Clouds are only visible when I am looking in specified angle
EDIT: This is true Sky Issue …probably it has problem with tesselation…big problem , not only with Ocean plugin , but also with other actors,materials,blueprints,etc that are using tesselation

Yeah I really don’t know the issue you are facing since I don’t own True Sky plugin and won’t, but they also have a company forum besides their thread here in the UE4 forums.

@NilsonLima thank you so much for keeping this alive and your continued support for all of us. As a fellow programmer, in my 20+ years, while I’ve learned a lot from paid services I feel I’ve learned more from free, community-driven resources. I know how hard it is to maintain something on your own even while accepting community contributions. I thank you for your work!

I’ve tried on 2 projects to try to get this to work on UE 4.20.3 with no success. I’m going to try to watch your videos again and try again. =)

I was about to freak out when I tried to get the best ocean in all of UE4 moved over to 4.20 and it broke. I should have checked here first for the fix. But, in any case, this SHOULD be in a game that is deployed because it really is awesome and all the people that work on this thing are too!

@NilsonLima Today I started from scratch. I realized there was a recent merge request (11 days ago), but I was still using an older 4.19 version. I followed your videos at WIP Community FREE Ocean project - YouTube and I can say that I successfully got this project to work on my own project on Unreal Engine 4.20.3.

As I said before, thank you and everyone involved for working on such a great project! I hope to one day be able to contribute.

Have a wonderful day!

has anyone repaired issueas and got working fix for Ocean Plugin with true sky on 4.19.2 or 4.21.0 ?

I didn’t try myself TrueSky with this Ocean, therefore I can’t tell much more than what I already have. What I do know is that they are about to release their own ocean to be able to have TrueSky working with oceans out-of-the-box, since the way they handle the cloud rendering messes up with translucent materials, meaning you need to worry not only for an ocean, but also other translucent materials like glass, ponds, etc

Thank You for that what You done for me …answered my questions ,prompted and cleared some things for me ,that helped me to understand source of issues ,but TrueSky is divided into “two binaries” [Core plugin and Unreal plugin] and if I fix something in enterable plugin source [unreal part] then In unenterable plugin binaries there are still issues…AND IDK WHY THEY CANNOT FIX THEM LOL… i don’t want from You to buying something or checking or anythin . i wanted some help from people who struggled with this “10 yeah super polished sky” - what is unfair defined and not true at the end …I cannot left Your Ocean Plugin , that’s why I am struggling with TrueSky ,which I like for clouds ,but i think i should search for something else

I think most AAA titles have purchased their source code and therefore they have a custom experience with that, so in the end the one provided for devs are presenting issues that great studios are aware and have fixed… can’t tell much about this. I am developing a Sky plugin to be sold here in the UE marketplace( that will cover this part and I will make it compatible with all the oceans available for UE) which I have most of the experience on several techniques when I developed Cloudscape Seasons and I will do a better job not using the same technique and it will have great details and performance! I can’t give yet an estimate on release, but it will be 2019 for sure, also I will release a new Ocean plugin which is also far superior to this one, the last one hopefully will have a free version.

Thank you very much

I’m wait 4.21 version)

Hey guys!
Any news for 4.21 version?

Hey guys!
Any news for 4.21 version?
[/QUOTE]

To get the current Github version to work you can compile the source of the ocean plugin yourself for engine version 4.21:

1. Copy the OceanPlugin folder from the main github project eg. D:\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin into your engine version Runtime folder of your plugins eg. D:\UnrealEngine\UE_4.21\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\
  2. Delete the Binaries folder and Intermediate folder (if available)
  3. Open (power) shell: shift-right click >> open power-shell (normal Windows cmd shell works as well)
  4. Using the Unreal build tool execute the following script to build the plugin from scratch (of course make sure the paths are correct):
    .\RunUAT.bat BuildPlugin -plugin=“D:\UnrealEngine\UE_4.21\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\OceanPlugin\OceanPlugin.uplugin” -package="“D:\UnrealEngine\UE_4.21\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\OceanPlugin”
  5. If build finishes correctly you will have two folders (Binaries and Intermediate). Binaries contains the build ocean plugin for version 4.21

Now following the changes listed on the Github page to use the engine for version 2.20.3 adjust your games uproject file to atleast include the following lines:
{
“FileVersion”: 3,
“EngineAssociation”: “4.21”,
“Category”: “”,
“Description”: “”,
“Modules”:
{
“Name”: “QuickStart”,
“Type”: “Runtime”,
“LoadingPhase”: “Default”,
“AdditionalDependencies”:
“Engine”
]
}
],
“Plugins”:
{
“Name”: “OceanPlugin”,
“Type”: “Runtime”,
“LoadingPhase”: “PreDefault”,
“Enabled”: true
}
]
}

Now for a quick start you can copy the folders in the Content folder of the OceanProject into the Content folder of your game. (Or append if you already have maps premade for instnace). Then simply boot UE and done.

Been working with it for several months and finally got something out of it that is worth showing off. Still a heavy WIP and need to work on lighting/smoke ect. The main challenge ahead is to make a semi decent wake, however iv been unable to get any of the ocean materials to look nice and the infinite ocean is still giving me troubles. Still love the project and keep up the good work!

Hey guys i love that project , the thing is that i only need the material ocean water without buoyancy for the moment , how can i without breaking everything ?

Buoyancy only happens if you use the specific blueprint for it otherwise nothing will break. In theory you can use the material for the ocean in a plane with some tessellation on it if you want to have a small portion of the ocean showing into the scene, otherwise you will still need the C++ portion of the plugin to handle the infinite ocean system, which automatically scales a plane for you depending on the camera position and distance.

If you still think you are uncomfortable doing changes I would suggest picking the free Water Materials available in the marketplace, they have an ocean material which is quite nice, and you can change it to have the coloring we have in the community project by copying the relevant nodes from this to the Water Materials’ ocean material.

Seems like a few years ago some people where able to get a wake function on the ocean, was wondering if this was ever documented or instructions made for it?
https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/work-in-progress/17331-community-project-wip-weather-ocean-water-shader/page48