Community Led Training - Getting Started with Paper 2D - Nov 14 - Chris Wilson (Cardboard Sword)

WHAT
Join Cardboard Sword’s lead designer, Chris Wilson, as he takes you from the Paper 2D starter project towards making your own game.
With examples from their upcoming game, The Siege and the Sandfox, this stream will cover:

• Using light sources in Paper 2D
  • Best practice for importing 2D assets
  • Creation of Tilesets, Tilemaps, and Flipbooks
  • Building on these fundamentals to create your own beautiful 2D game’

WHEN
Tuesday, November 14th @ 2:00PM ET Countdown]

WHERE
Twitch
Youtube
Facebook

WHO
Chris Wilson - Lead Designer, Cardboard Sword - @crwilso](http://twitter.com/crwilso)

Share any questions you have for Chris in the comments below! We’ll try to answer them on the stream.

ARCHIVE

Great to have Chris Wilson doing the live stream, been following his streams for a while. I am also interested in setting up a proper 2D AI I hope he can squeeze that in

Thanks for following, I hope the streams have been useful!

This stream will be focused on the art/lighting fundamentals in Paper 2D as we’re most frequently asked about them. We’d love to do a stream like this for 2D AI, so hopefully we can work out something in the future :slight_smile:

Hey! Making a game using Paper2D myself and looking forward to this.

Ooff! I can’t wait!

Awesome…good luck with that

I’d like to bring up the bug in paper2d when you set your tileset to isometric diamond. The collission will not change to isometric but stays to the standard tileset shape. I dunno how high this is on the priority list. But would be great to push it up a little :rolleyes:

love this…is paper 2-d still in development? have not seen any updates to in since I think 4.8??

I too would love to see some Paper2D related AI stuff, but this should be interesting to watch as well.

Glad to see some Paper 2D topics! Won’t be able to make the stream due to work but hope to check it out after.

Thanks Well!

Wonderful! I haven’t seen many resources on building a modern lighting scheme in 2D, this will be interesting (and just what I need for my game!). I mean, a game can be as gorgeous as you can draw your sprites, but I’m also interested in leveraging some of the engine features to blur the line between strictly traditional 2D and more experimental/modern 2.5D a bit.

How to create an old school 2D type of quest game?
So the question will be how to make the character move up and down in 2D space, the game will probably have to be a 2D paper type of game only from the side but the backgrounds will be illustrated to give the illusion of 3D space like in the samples above, so is it a matter of writing a script to have the character become smaller and larger depending on where he is on the level?

This is a great question, it seems development has slowed/stopped on all 2D. Maybe I’m just missing it…

I thought the same. Paper2D hasn’t had any real development since Michael Noland swapped to another project in 2015.
I’d love to see some real Paper2D advancements soon.

Can Paper2D tilemaps have animated tiles?

Great stream. Honestly my biggest take away was something really impressive CAN be made in Paper2D, even in its current state. Maybe I’ve been too hard on it and should try and work past the struggles I had come across.
I still wish it had more support though.

Nice paper2D in UE4 is really cool

Was there supposed to be assets available to follow along with this?

Was there a link to the assets? I stopped when he used the texture at 5:00. I couldn’t follow along anymore at that point. Thank you.