Community Led Training - Gamepad Support for UMG - August 29 - Celeste from Panda Studios

WHAT
User Interfaces are an essential part of any game, and they should be intuitive and simple to navigate. Celeste returns to delve further into UMG development to explain how to add gamepad support to your UMG widgets. She will show how to receive inputs, navigate menus, and visualize that navigation to help your users have a smooth experience.

NOTE - This is an intermediate level training, so some fundamental knowledge of programming or Blueprints is assumed.

New to UE4? You’re still encouraged to join in, as you’ll still learn something new along the way, but introductory topics will not be covered. Check out this Getting Started beforehand!

Download Celeste’s Project file here

WHEN
Tuesday, August 29th @ 2:00PM ET Countdown]

WHERE
Twitch
Youtube

WHO
Celeste - Panda Studios - @CatherineCel](https://twitter.com/CatherineCel) / @PandaDevStudios](https://twitter.com/PandaDevStudios)

Have questions about gamepad support? Post below and we’ll gather them up!

ARCHIVE

2 Likes

From what I understand is you’re going to be setting your input mode to Game and have your player controller perform the UI navigation. That’s judging from the preview picture ofcourse, if that’s the case, why is that preferred over using the Navigation within UMG?

http://puu.sh/xlQte/e0bc4a3c21.png

There’s also this issue where you should be able to seamlessly switch between gamepad and keyboard, therefore my other question is. Is there a way for your mouse to be at the last position of the widget you’ve highlighted through your gamepad, so when you move your mouse it’s at the selected widget you selected.

Also, how will you tackle dynamically changing lists of widgets, for example a friends list?

Great, can’t wait! Will this also work for multiple controllers? I have a hard time getting focus on the menu with player 2,3 and 4 (local multiplayer)

Download link for the project made on stream -> GamepadTut.7z - Google Drive

hey did you find solution about your problem ? because im trying to create a character selection like tekken or street fighter …where 2 player select character together

Hey, if you follow my stream and actually use the player controller(which have their own player controller) you can get the controls mapped to their own spawned UI. You’ll need Input mode Game and UI though, but it’s a nice workaround as opposed to binding OnKeyDown or using anything else.

hey thank you for the response. i was waiting when will epic upload your stream yesterday. because it is still not in their youtube chanel

Usually takes some time, you can find it here in the meantime Twitch :slight_smile:

Sadly I have no idea how to use the second player controller in the same menu. Can you give me any tips using the same method as in your video?

1. My personal opinion, there is no reason to prefer her method, looks like she doesn’t know that UE4 has a built-in navigation system for UMG.
  2. Uhm, easy way could be store somewhere the last focused widget and when you move your mouse set its coords at stored widget (of course had to be done only once or mouse cursor will stay forever here, you understand what i mean).

You create a widget in the player controller, store the reference and then you are giving the input to the umg you created for that controller.

On Yuri,
I am well aware that it exists, In gamedev there is never one way of doing it and I much more prefer this method, there’s no reason to just simply assume I am not aware it exists because I don’t use it.

If you know that it exists i don’t understand why you want to reinvent the wheel, don’t blame me, i’m an old dinosaur engineer :rolleyes:

Said that, the built-in nav system need an improvement, Epic has to at least give us the ability to remap the navigation keys whitout change the engine source (i wonder why they are hardcoded) but for the rest it work fine.

I am new to Unreal Engine. I Set up all menus widgets for my game with hover, press down, up, etc. and everything worked perfect with mouse. XBOX wants me to send them a demo of my game with controller support.

I purchased a USB wired Xbox controller and plugged into my computer and the games actually played with the controller! But then I tried navigating the menus I spent weeks creating and nothing would work with the controller :frowning:

After reading for hours and hours and watching tons of videos I am starting to come to the conclusion that all menus have to be recreated to work with the controller.

This seems crazy, You can add the on keyboard focus and you can use the controller to move around and press buttons but it will not highlight the hover button color. All the work to recreate the navigation for a controller just seems like a huge waste of time. It would seem that Epic could just add a node that says keyboard hover or something like that.

If anyone know an easy way around this please let me know! Thank you.

So followed the video and everything works like it shows. Except one thing. Shouldn’t i have a button on gamepad to actually select a button?

Dear Sir,
While importing the mesh into unreal,Is the mesh already unwrapped or uvw mapped in maya or any other software and textured? or is it textured in unreal? this flow of taking mesh with texture or without texture to unreal . And that mesh with tight uvs should be combined or grouped or attached and imported to which ext. so that the whole scene could be set at once in unreal . Or we need to set each and every object again into unreal. i am very much confused and stucked up with my project. Please help me out with this.
Thanks.