Communicating information and events between actors

As a learning exercise I’m trying to create an AI; what I would like some help with is how to structure the interactions between the different entities in the game

Here are the questions I have a few questions:

1. Say I have one AI (a monster for example) and it perceives another actor (this could be another monster, or a human, etc.), how should it determine if this other actor is an enemy or a friend?
  2. If it has determined that the other actor is an enemy and then attacks it, how will this work - the other actor needs to lose health and possibly know that it was attacked so that it can respond.
  3. And then, if the other actors dies for some reason while the monster is attacking, how will it receive this information again?

I realize it might depend on the situation, but what’s a good way to handle this?

What I’ve thought of is to perhaps create a component (calling it something like Entity or Unit) which will hold data such as Team, Health, etc. and have functions such as ApplyDamage(), IsAlive(), etc.

Does no one have any suggestions on this?

Somewhere in this 2 hour recording of a Training Stream on Blueprint Communication is probably what you need.

Thanks, I’ll have a look.