Coming Soon: The Unreal Engine forums are leveling up!

We have a winner folks!

2 Likes

No they were unrelated

Looks like signatures are gone? That’s a huge bummer. That was a great way to passively market marketplace content. Now potential customers would have to go out of their way to visit my profile > about me. Can we get signatures back please?

8 Likes

Hm, I have to say it’s a bit weird. I mean sure I’ll get used to the interface, but again it seems that usability has taken a back seat to shiny minimalistic designs. Just off the top of my head, I can no longer see people’s post count and badges at a glance, which is often times an important metric to determine the credibility of a poster (I know that’s not always the case but it’s better than nothing).

Equally important is the fact that I can no longer see the latest active post in a category, which was usually my preferred way of browsing the forum index.

3 Likes

Well this is really UGLY… It is harder to navigate, and looks less organized?

This is an update? Why god. WHY!

5 Likes

This looks like a big downgrade.

10 Likes

Did you guys A/B test this? Cause it seems like a big waste.

4 Likes

I like this forum engine; but I miss signatures (to quickly spy on what everyone is working on) and my sweet “Epic Mega Dev” forum title disappeared :pleading_face:

7 Likes

I like it.

2 Likes

It’s true that info isn’t available at a glance, but you can click their icon and get a glimpse of some of their profile.

As far as the latest active post in a category, if you click one, it’ll show you the latest active topics. Do you mean at a general overview level? Discourse also has more granular notifications if you want to keep an eye on certain categories more than others.

Thank you for your feedback—we’ll be collecting a lot of it over the coming days and see what iterations we can make for folks :slight_smile:

Would you mind expanding on how it feels more difficult and less organized?

Yeah I noticed the tooltip… That one funnily enough doesn’t have the post count either, but it shows a brief list of badges people have… and the “Basic” badge takes up the first spot for everyone.

By the posts I mean that before, in the category list the right-most column showed what the last active topic in that category was, who posted there as well as the time stamp. It was a very convenient way for me to see what’s new in a category, especially stuff like the announcements. The “new posts” section just lumps all categories together.

Overall I just think we should at least have the option to trade some of the web 2.0 blank space for information. I’m not sure how much Discourse allows for that but it would help it along greatly.

In other feedback - the theme keeps reverting to dark mode even though I switched it to light.

We can explore customizing the user card, to prioritize that information!

Noted!

I have to ask… did you click “save changes” after selecting the light theme?

Thanks for the feedback! We can explore signatures, or perhaps putting more of that info into someone’s user card. The titles are def something we can restore though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it is the dynamic factor, I prefer 1 function per page. I don’t love dynamically loaded web content. I like old school php forums. For example writing this comment on 4k display makes the writing box window about 1/10th of the page, and crammed to the bottom. It also just seems more suited for mobile than for desktop… which I really do not love mobile first design.

It also seemed like the old “buckets” and topic were more solid. Now it seems like everything is in one “bucket” with tags for topics. So it’s harder to browse in a specific field like just rendering.

It seems like it is more of a shallow / wide design methodology than a deep an narrow / design, and for this functionality deep/narrow design principles are helpful, because I usually come to the forum for specific things, not to browse.

I do like some of the suggestions when typing in a new topic, but over all the look is really distracting and seems to put sleek visuals and a mobile first principle over the ability to find the information you need.

Old forum was Info > Visuals

This forum is Visuals > Info …

My 2 cents.

4 Likes

Yes I did, and if you click “save changes” again in the profile, without touching the theme, it will always revert back to the dark theme. So just go to the profile, switch to light, press save, then just press save again.

As a minor suggestion I think the forum list could benefit from tighter padding/margins on desktop. As an example of what I mean, check the forum list on the left side of BlenderArtists:

Personally I find this easier to look at, it’s more condensed and the fonts/colors aren’t all bold and high contrast.

Also on the subject of the above screenshot, I think it would be awesome if you had a featured posts bar at the top like Blender-Artists has (its the row of square images toward the top of the page)

7 Likes

This is exactly my vision. I prefeer the old forum, much simpler and cleaner for the user. I do not like one page load all content, I alsp prefeer browse from page to page

6 Likes

Exactly, who wants to scroll all the way down on a topic that used to have over 50 pages before. This was a huge waste of time

4 Likes

I like discourse. I’m sure there will be things that need to be improved here and there, but it’s a good choice in my opinion.

3 Likes