Combining static mesh while holding

I want to use a physics based Crafting/Building system for my project.What I want to do is pickup an item and hold it in my hand(Not an inventory) and then drop it on another item to craft a new item or to basically to put parts together

For example : If I want to build a table,I want to buy my Table Base,and for Table Legs and have them spawn in a specific location and then drag the table base into a designated build area,and then drag my table legs to the table base to attach it together via sockets

I have a working pickup and drop system but I cant seem to find a solution for this or any tutorials or marketplace assets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.I would prefer to do this in blueprint since I am new at this and I don’t have a lot of experience.

This is the closest example of the type of crafting system im trying to create.

Something similar yea I’m not looking for a creative type system but rather a very linear one,I was hoping to create each Item myself and add sockets,and then attach different items to the sockets.I want the two items to snap together when I collide them with each other

How ‘module’ do you imagine your crafting system to be?
By the looks of the video, the possibilities look to be all hand placed by the designer (like the handle knew exactly where it wanted to go).

Ok, so I created a small test project to test some ideas and I think this will be a nice way to create this system.

You should make base actor classes for all the types of equipment (like sword handle, edge, etc). The variations (like leather handle) should inherent from theses classes. You should create scene components to know where the connected parts should spawn.

I created a box collider to detect overlaps (maybe you should do a sphere collider (less expensive) or a line trace when you have it in hand (best of all).

When it overlaps with a valid attachment, like the guard overlapping with the handle or the edge, you check to see if there is already a component of this type there and if there isn’t, add one. I decided to use a child actor component so all the actor properties remain active (so you can connect the guard to the edge by dragging the connected handle).

Here is the test project I created (link), I only made the functionality for the handle (test it by playing the level, ejecting, selecting the handle and moving it to the guard).

Hopefully it’ll give you some ideas to create a create system!

Let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for all the trouble this is awesome,I will let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Okay this is working perfect and it is exactly what I wanted thank you for that.I do have another problem,it doesn’t seem to work correctly when I make my object simulate physics to use my grab and drop system.Any idea why that might be? I’m playing around with it now cant figure it out.As soon as I make them physics objects they don’t want to attach anymore.The collision box is moving with them

It seems they are still attaching correctly because when I eject after I collided them and click on each of them I can see they are connected but they don’t move together they can still be picked up seperately and they each have their own physics.So they are parented but not physically connected.is there a way to get them to move together as one object?