Combine meshes flag not respected on reimport

When re-importing static meshes en-masse from an fbx with multiple meshes/objects in scene each static mesh re-imports the whole fbx scene instead of each static mesh containing just a single object/mesh.

background: Original objects imported with “combine meshes” flag unset. The static mesh does not have this flag as part of its import settings. The editor preferences does not have import option defaults.

Expected behaviour: static mesh has import option with this flag set and/or the editor preferences has default import options where this flag can be set so the auto-import which happens during re-import can act on “combine meshes” flag. Static meshes adhere to original import criteria.

Hello,

Thank you for your report. I attempted to reproduce this with my own assets in 4.0.2, but I was able to reimport a single mesh fine. Could you please provide a test asset that I could test this with?

Thank you

Hi - the file is to big to upload, send me an email and I’ll wetransfer it across to you. Try mass selecting the files to re-import after re-exporting the file as a whole from the source before re-importing the fbx. I have a few hundred meshes as building placeholders so the number of files may have a bearing.

Unfortunately I am not able to do that with my official email address due to company policy. Could you provide a download of the asset through another site?

Hi Noisy Guy,

Can you provide exact steps for me to follow in trying to reproduce this. Thus far every individual import came in as intended without re-importing the entire series of meshes in each individual import. Perhaps I missed a step in reproducing this? Thank you!

Hi To repeat this:

Use an FBX file with 396 separate meshes. import them with combine meshes deselected.

group select all the meshes in the asset browser, right click and reimport.

Some of the meshes, not all have reimported the whole scene as opposed to their individual meshes. Most of the objects are as expected, just the correct mesh.

I’ve highlighted examples of the meshes that have changed from individual meshes to the whole FBX scene, there are about 60 of the 396 that have done this.

Hi Noisy,

Can you re-upload the test asset so we can continue testing? Thank you!

I hope this gets seen as its and ‘oldish’ report but here is an FBX that exhibits this behaviour 100% of the time. OS X, UE 4.2.1. FBX file is from Cinema4D.

Import the FBX and make sure ‘Combine Meshes’ is OFF. You will get a number of very similar meshes that have different UV Maps.

Highlight them all and click Reimport, every one becomes a combined mesh with all the UV’s combined. This also happens reimporting a single one.

link text

Hi ,

Can you post a screenshot of what they look like on your end when this occurs? Thus far I have not been able to reproduce this on my end. Also what version of the editor are you on currently? Thank you!

Hi , here are screenshots of before and after

https://d26ilriwvtzlb.cloudfront.net/e/ee/ReImportBug.

Hi ,

Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce this on either PC or Mac thus far. Can you post your system information? Perhaps there is something we have not seen yet. Thank you!

Wow thats weird. here is some detail of the machine.

Harware
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac13,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 24 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B05
SMC Version (system): 2.11f14

Software
System Version: OS X 10.10 (14A283o)
Kernel Version: Darwin 14.0.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 1 day21:45

Its using 10.10 beta3

I can’t launch 4.3 preview so this is still in UE 4.2.1

I currently don’t have my 10.9 machine handy :frowning:

Hi ,

While I doubt that 10.10 is the problem, it is possible that it is causing your specific issue. We do not currently support 10.10 as it is in a beta state. When you get the please test this on a 10.9.3 machine and let us know if you get the same bug. Thank you!

Pretty interesting, just tried on UE4.2.1 and OS X 10.9.4 and the re-import did NOT combine the meshes.

It is only happening on my 10.10 machine.

Just to confirm, this is NOT happening on 10.9.4 (latest shipping OS X) but it is happening on a 10.10 machine. Both are identical iMacs

Unfortunately at present we do not have the ability to support or test 10.10. Apple may release more versions of 10.10 before its official release which may fix the specific issue you are having.

Yup no probs with me, I either redo the whole import or use my 10.9.4 machine its just a heads up I suppose from now - worth checking again when 10.10 is rc. for the help :slight_smile:

Hi, I just wanted to say that this problem has now gone with 4.3 - yay! nothing to see here, move along… :wink:

I have this issue on 4.6.
Windows 8 64 bits.