Colllision problem on backfaced geom (?)

I have a interesting collision issue now sure I can solve so… Ive had no trouble at all up to now with my design elements, but now I have purposeful hole in a cave, which leads of course to another tunnel, but ‘getting there’ requires player to go into backfaced area of mesh. I can clearly see all of this in 3d modelers I’m using, but the rest is causing some grief.

Due to another thread I stumbled upon, I can ‘see’ the area directly ahead of hole, but going through hole and stepping onto cave area as planned, and player falls through.

What setting am I missing so this doesn’t happen ?

If I cant fix I can do this another way, but the design was meant to work in this fashion if possible because of immersion factor.

TY
lee

Could you probably post a picture so that I exactly now what you want to create? :slight_smile:
You just have a backface collision when you use UCX collision or one of the basic shapes -> it wont work with “complex as simple”

https://www.dropbox/s/zy38z244u8cyafr/Screenshot%202015-07-03%2011.56.19.png?dl=0

Looking through currently designed cave entrance, you can clearly see the cave behind it, which as noted atm, player falls through.

Anyway I’ll try one of the other coll options.

thx
lee

Btw I’ve not had time to alter this, but as per docs page,ucx is only for non open meshes which this one is not.

I’ll try some other option.

Later
lee

NOthing has worked and I’ve tried them all I think. I can at least see the backfaces now that I have double sided in mesh editor, but while I can walk on backfaces that I need to, slowly and often I do not fall through, going normal pace seems to make that happen much sooner, it all seems very inconsistent honestly.

Does this have anything to do with it being a 300k mesh with a lot of detail in various areas ? It’s not that complicated a mesh at all, just a lot going on.

I’ll keep trying, thx anyone for any answers ;0-0

Thx
lee

I’ve tried everything, and I have no idea how to fix it ( see above post ), any ideas anyone ?

I can’t imagine anyone has never experienced this, but if not maybe somebody has an idea how to resolve it, or does this indicate I need to create special coll in 3d package ?

Thx
lee

I could still use some help on this if anyone has any ideas at all, or if this if fixable by coding, I"d be willing to entertain the idea of paying for a fix.

Cheers
nl

Any idea how to fix this within UE4 ?

thx
nl

I"m trying other sollutions to create a more open shape ( holes in areas of mesh) to solve coll issue, but I wanted to verify what you meant by this:

" You just have a backface collision when you use UCX collision or one of the basic shapes "

I didn’t understand your descript for sure, did you mean to say that, ’ you CAN have a backface coll as long as you use ucx or some basic shape ’ ?

I’ve tried other ‘shapes’ in ue4 , but none are helping, that or they make regular collision on non backfaces non existant, but I"ll keep trying until I hear a verification.

I can fix this I believe by trying alternate methods design wise, but I’d rather go this route as it’s my first choice :wink:

Thx
nl

One last shot at this in case you are still considering a response to your question ( and my answer) , I can walk on areas of mesh where coll issues occur but only if I walk slowly, if not then I fall through to areas of good coll more frequently as if that makes any sense ? :wink:

I tried ucx from blender > ue4 but that yielded horrible results with ue4 crashing as I walked over area of mesh where I added ucx but I"m going to have a look at a different tutorial to see if I can fix that but it looks iffy.

Just looking for a direction to take this in so I don’t have to try alternate methods.

Thx anyone
nl

Im still wondering if anyone has a ‘clue’ about how I could go about, reliably fixing this :wink:

Surely somebody out there, has some idea , or am I treading in new grounds with my groundbreaking and incredibly clever game design ? :wink:

Thx
nl

\

The only way I get collision on this complicated mesh is with complex as simple given I"ve tried all alterntives, so if it won’t work with complex as simple which is all that collides right with this mesh, how do I resolve this ? :wink:

Old thread, been busy, hope somebody has some ideas :wink:

thx
nl

But when you want there no collision, then you could split your cavemesh, in 3D app.
Split the part apart, where you want no collision (cavebackwall) and export it seperate with origin set to 0,0,0 (like the Maincavemesh), set collision to 0.
Use basic shapes in ue to make collision where you want it, set visibility ingame to 0.
But you have then still two overlapping backfacing areas, or one zone, between the backfaces.
Make out of both backfaces one seperate mesh, set it to destroyable, or add another portaleffekt.

I’ve never tried this, but you say one can use basic shapes in editor and apply those to backfaces that by themselves have no collision , and collisions for those areas should then work ? These areas are large tunnels and such, so I’m not sure this is going to work but I’ll give it a go.

Ty for info.

thx
nl