collision on fbx asset issues

If i insert a fbx box from max the collision works perfect. I can get on it and walk around it. But when i insert an custom shape it put’s a parameter around it and i can only get so close to it. can someone steer me in the right direction here?
Thank you!

When you bring in new objects it will try and generate a collision mesh, the default settings on import are for a very simple mesh so if you have something more complex then it won’t give good results. You can adjust the collision mesh generation by opening the static mesh from the content browser and messing with the settings there, however if the mesh is complex then you may have to create the collision mesh yourself

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/StaticMeshes/#collision

While packaging my project I am having issues with the collision. Do you know specifically what are the restrictions on the dynamically moving meshes? I like to use the “use complex as simple” as the collisions are a very important part of the game but the physx report in the package log says the collisions are illegal shapes.

From the log

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UE4Editor-Cmd: [2016.12.07-04.40.04:161] 0]LogPhysics:Error: PHYSX: (…..\PhysXExtensions\src\ExtRigidBodyExt.cpp 217) eINVALID_PARAMETER : computeMassAndInertia: Dynamic actor with illegal collision shapes
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UE4Editor-Cmd: [2016.12.07-04.40.04:162] 0]LogPhysics:Error: PHYSX: (…..\PhysXExtensions\src\ExtRigidBodyExt.cpp 266) eINVALID_PARAMETER : PxRigidBodyExt::updateMassAndInertia: Mass and inertia computation failed, setting mass to 1 and inertia to (1,1,
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): 1)

You need to make sure your collision meshes are convex–where a line can’t go through the mesh more than once

Would this be considered a simple mesh?

I assigned a convex mesh to the above and I can still walk thru it.

Thanks

I do not know if this a known bug but when i try to import a fbx file and check skeletal mesh it crashes. Maybe skeletal refers to a character?

Well I have tried several different methods and nothing is working. Am I correct in assuming that this would not be a simple mesh and I need to create several boxes (which i have done however it is much more work one at a time)