Code-signing and notarization for Mac

Hi everyone! Have any of you packaged Unreal projects for Mac distribution, either through or outside of the App Store? I have what I think is going to be a problem with a very simple solution, but I’ve reached the limits of my knowledge with this sort of thing. I’m an exhibit/experiential designer trying to build interactive 3D environments with Unreal Engine. Besides being more technically literate than most designers, I don’t have very much development knowledge at all. Blueprints really make a lot possible that I would have never otherwise attempted!

My main development machine runs Windows, and that’s gone off without a hitch.

For the Mac build, I’ve packaged my .app through UE and it’s running great. The part that I can’t seem to wrap my head around is code-signing and notarizing. I believe I’ve gone through the process correctly but I still get the Gatekeeper dialog box rejecting my app as from an “unidentified developer” when I run it on a different Mac or download it onto my development Mac and try to run it.

I’m using a “Developer ID Application” certificate installed to Keychain, and ran codesign with that certificate as shown below on every single binary and .dylib file in the package:

codesign -f -v -s "Developer ID Application: My Name (IDCODE)" --entitlements "/entitlements.xml" --options runtime --all-architectures --timestamp "each-individual-file"

I have then compressed the app into a DMG image and uploaded it for notarization like so:

xcrun altool --notarize-app -primary-bundle-id "com.thebundleID" --file "thearchive.dmg" --username "myappleid" --password "password"

After many attempts I did eventually get this to return with a success. I then ran

xcrun stapler staple "thearchive.dmg"

as well as tried to extract the app from the dmg and ran

xcrun stapler staple "theapp.app"

and despite

spctl -vvv --assess --type exec "theapp.app"

coming up “accepted” with a “Notarized Developer ID” matching my own, when I transfer the app to another computer it won’t open easily, with the same “unidentified developer” message as if I hadn’t signed the code at all.

I made a similar post in Apple’s Developer forums and someone commented that proper notarization doesn’t necessarily lead to gatekeeper acceptance. In the console, I see XProtectService taking note of a couple of .dylib files for PhysX3—which are properly signed—but I just don’t know enough to make that information useful.

Has anyone here gone through this process and found a way to make it work? Have I missed something? I’m happy to share a download link for you to try launching as well.

1 Like

I have had same trouble for months. I am ready/need to try again - any luck or additional tips? I have had same success message from spctl but app will not open with ‘unidentified’ problem.

I wrote a medium article explaining the whole process step by step. Take a look, it might help you.

I followed the article to the letter and everything seems fine. I even receive a positive response from the notarization service, but still the app won’t open.
I can mount the dmg, but when I try to launch the app, the “cannot verify developer” message pops up.

Any suggestions?

Does the app open without the notarization? i.e. Does it open after you make the build from Unreal and run it? Also, are you using UE5? I have seen people follow this article with UE5 builds and fail. I wrote it for 4.26 builds. Check the comment on the medium article for UE5 specific changes.

The build works without notarization when not downloaded (build directly on the same machine) and it works if I authorize it via the privacy and security settings page.
And yes, it IS UE5 (5.1 to be exact).