Cloud Formations

Im looking to make cloud formations like attached pics. I want to create a blanket of clouds below me as far as eye can see, like we are above the clouds and other cloud formations around a sky city . Can this be done using Volumetric Clouds or VDBs, if so anybody know best method of doing this? Also want to have a spaceship birth out the clouds, can I use Niagara particles for this, like this example at around 3:25 min: Beyond Good and Evil 2 – E3 2017 World Premiere Cinematic Trailer - YouTube

Clouds1

I think this would not be easy in UE, but would love to see a better answer… :slight_smile:

Hey there @Graeme_VR! With a little bit of elbow grease you can actually pull this off with volumetric clouds, but it’s not going to be quick or easy. Now most people only know about using volumetric clouds out of the box, which work great but you don’t have much control of them, how their seeded or shaped etc. right? Well you can actually take back a bit of control using a trick from this video I have below. That said it still won’t be easy even after you have control and you’ll have to generate custom shapes.

Disclaimer: Epic Games is not liable for anything that occurs outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise best judgement when clicking external links from the forums.

and the documentation so you can read up if you’d like!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.