Clothes in distance break

Example video: Messy Clothes

So I have a rigged character, and I put a skeleton mesh coat on him which has weight painted on it so it moves with the character.

When looking from close, this works just great. However, as you can see in the video, when you are just a little bit further away from the character, the clothes start bugging out, like they are broken, however as soon as you get closer again they are fixed

I have no idea why this might be a thing since I am new to animations and this whole process, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it? If more informations are needed please ask

Hello!

It might be a clothing simulation problem, does the character has a Physics asset?
Does the cloth rig work outside Unreal?

Hello

Yes, when I imported the FBX file it automatically created a Physics asset for it, however I didn’t do anything with it, I just used the Skeleton Mesh file. And yes I tested the rig inside Blender and it worked as intended

If the cloth and body are different meshes, have you tried adding the cloth to the sequencer too? maybe doing that and coping the transform keyframes onto th cloth mesh

Oh, my bad, I didn’t explain how my character is. So I am using a MetaHuman character, which is one blueprint, and inside that blueprint there are multiple skeletal meshes. The main one is Body, which controls everything, and than it has children (Legs,Face etc you can see this on the image)

And Torso, has the Coat set as its Skeletal Mesh, so in the Level sequencer, I imported the blueprint, and I can change every bone of the body and Face, but not the Torso,Legs those are controled by the body. So sadly I cannot do what you suggested.

I’ve tried forcing LOD’s but it is not an LOD issue. I have no idea what else might be causing it to bug out only in the distance, and be fixed when I get closer… If I figure it out I will be sure to let you know tho

and have you tried simulating the game? in the play button you should see a drop down where “Simulate play” is, sometimes to simulate physics is necesary to be on play

1 Like

Oh yes I tried that out but I get the same results sadly

maybe adding the clothes to the construction script of the metahuman blueprint, sometimes for the clothes to follow the character is needed to be added to the constructioon script

1 Like

I am not sure if this would work, it is possible however I ended up solving this in a different way.

I’ve exported the Skeletal Mesh of the body from Unreal Engine, and I’ve imported it into Blender, than I imported the coat and joined the two meshes together to create one, than imported it back into UE and it worked as intended. It’s a workaround that works for me.

Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it!

3 Likes

Glad you could solve it!

I had the same issue and it was just the scalability view distance.