Cloth sim and solver taking 80ms EACH; moving causes drop to 15fps. (urgent, will pay for a solution by zelle/paypal)

I’m only using cloth on one character: the player character.

Suspending or resuming cloth sim has no impact. ~81ms is what it’s taking for the solver and cloth EACH. That’s 160ms; or 1/6th of a second.

What can I do to improve this?

How many iterations / substeps are you using for cloth simulation?

One of my team members did all the cloth sim stuff, not really my department; but he isn’t with us anymore so i’m trying to figure out why we went from 90fps to 30fps and down to 15fps when moving.

Where do I find the setting for substeps?

Open your skeletal mesh asset, Inside the asset details panel:
clothing → mesh clothing assets → select the clothing asset → clothing properties → config → cloth config → ChaosClothSharedSimConfig
Here you will see Iteration count, Max iteration count and subdivision(substep) count

I don’t have Chaos Cloth Config at all :confused: This is ue4.27, should have prefaced that. It all is enabled, but I don’t see any options anywhere like yours.

I do have these global options though:

Turning iterations down to 8 still results in ~15fps when moving. ~45 when standing still.

In either case, stat physics shows the same numbers:

Ummm, kind of unsure about this, but have you always had 110k vertices for clothing?
It takes about 0.5 ms for just 350 vertices on my system using 4 iterations and 1 substep (i7 13700k).
I’m not sure if the relation is linear or if this is the actual reason for the performance hit but might be worth looking into

Always.

How complex is your model?

Okay, to make matters more or less complicated (haven’t decided which yet).

Removing my player character while the game is running reduces the call count to 12.

Time drops by ~10ms.

Looking at my character in editor with the game NOT running, my time is ~14ms to render cloth for my character.

So, now there are 12 objects calling ‘cloth’ and ‘internal solver’… but… where??? how do I see what those objects may be?

If I delete every NPC from the game and vehicle, that call count doesn’t drop.

I’m just using the Sparrow model from paragon (Epic’s free asset). It has a total of 55k vertices and as I said I’m only using about 350 for cloth simulation(her cape).
Also as you can see inside the the mesh editor ( and probably already found out), your character is taking about 5 ms cpu time for clothing, probably up to double of that when moving. I think 118 k vertices are the total for your character and not the ones you are simulating. So you are using cloth simulation somewhere else.

Yeah I see that, I just can’t find where.

You can try deleting pawns from the outliner one by one to see which one was taking the cpu time. Take a backup before doing this though. If you are using git you can just do a hard reset and it will revert all of that.

You can delete anything you want while the game is running, it’s all temporary.

I solved it. Looks like I had my character mesh as a reference mesh hidden in some blueprints. What a nightmare.

FPS are randomly still low as hell though, so, onto the next problem :frowning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.