City Generation

Hi everyone, I wasn’t 100% sure if this was the correct thread to put this into but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for starting to use blueprints for a procedural city generator? I’ve spent the past few weeks researching on this topic for a game I’m creating and I was pretty overwhelmed by the amount of information. If anyone was willing to help me to get started I’d really appreciate it. Thanks for reading this! :wink:
:slight_smile:

(Again, sorry if this was not the correct tag to enter this post into. If this is the case I will move it immediately.)

Hi Yllira

Ah the old procedural dream every developer has haha. Obviously there is a lot of ways to do it. Seeing as you want to build a city I’ll recommend setting up a type of grid. Each block will then spawn a random building. Just my opinion, haven’t done it myself. I have seen a lot of youtube videos about it though. If you are just staring forget about the city and just focus on the generation par.

There’s so many ways to do it and having a nice result will be incredibly complex. There’s no easy answer. There’s not even an easy answer on where to start because there’s so many ways to do it.

But I would start by making a system that spawns random buildings and make sure they don’t collide. This is easy enough to do.