Circle camera in sequencer

Hi

I want to move a camera around an object in a perfect 360 degree circle. Is there a simple way of doing this using the camera rail – that’s to say, is there an easy way of forming the spline into a perfect circle? (Without having to laboriously adjust points.)

I’ve found tutorials showing how to do this in Blueprint – but these seem to be for game use, whereas I’m making cinematics for movie output.

Thanks!

I think I’ve found the answer: Don’t use the camera rail!

Simply animate the CineCamera in Sequencer using the Lookat Tracking Settings to point at the object.

Move the camera around the object in a circle and place keyframes appropriately (do this is plan view using a disk as a quide).

Still trying to think of a one-click way of doing this!

Circle camera

Attach the camera to a spring arm, place the spring arm where the relevant actor is and rotate the spring arm. Or rotate a vector.

an easy way of forming the spline into
a perfect circle

No need to do it manually. This project has an algorithm to place spline points over a circumference.

2 Likes

The easiest way I’ve found is to add a Camera Rig Crane.

Add a sphere as the crane pivot point to act as your focal point. Enable camera tracking and focus tracking on the sphere. Keyframe the crane to rotate 360. The cool thing about this approach is you can also smoothly change camera distance and height thanks to crane functions.

Track the “Attach” option in the sequencer to attach your subject to the focal point sphere to easily swap assets in and out.

I hope this Helps!

For generating a spline circle, you can try the Spline Generation Panel