Chunk Downloader Manifest parse error

We’re using the chunk downloader to download pak files from a remote server and according to the UE Log the format is incorrect.

we’re getting a constant Manifest Parse Error with the ChunkLoader even though we’ve followed the docs and example stream VOD exactly as instructed (with tabs and UTF-8) and I still have no idea whats happening, we’ve compared the regex command and are running in debug to see what’s happening but it just jams the entire line in the NameBuffer and leaves the rest empty, this happens across both the Android and Windows builds.

does anyone know how to fix this?

I need help on this topic too!

Any assistance would truly be appreciated! The chunk downloader is a pretty neat feature, and any help identifying where the fault lies will make our lives a lot easier.

I had the BuildID incorrect which was causing an error with what UE expected vs what we were giving it, the explanation in the docs isn’t great so I ended up fixing it after debugging for a while.

So as a real quick tutorial because the video and documentation Epic have don’t seem to explain everything, turns out that you need to order your Pak files on a remote/cloud server in a specific format and then reference them that way.

The Structure should begin with your ContentBuildID.txt file and a folder, the ContentBuildID text file should have the name of the folder in it.

Inside your Content Folder you need the BuildManifest-(PlatformYou’reTargeting).txt and another folder that will hold the Pak files.
The BuildManifest-Windows (etc) will have an entry count, build ID and then a list of all of the chunks.

Num Entries is the amount of Pak files you are referencing
BuildID is the ContentBuildID or the directory these files are located in
pakchunk is broken down into 5 parts The Pak file name
The size in bytes (right click, properties on the file itself and take the bytes part of Size)
The version as a string value
The ID of the chunk
The location of the chunk from this directory

2 Likes

Thank you for the fix ratchet3789! Hopefully somebody within the Unreal Team catches your post and update the documentation.

I know it has been ages since this was posted, but could you guide me on how you hosted the .pak file as well as the manifest text file on a remote server? i can’t find a guide explaining how to do that.
Thanks in advance

Its been even longer now haha but sure.
We followed what they did in the tutorial but we used a public Google Bucket to host the data, so anyone could technically access it.

If I still had access to that bucket I’d screenshot the layout for you but I unfortunately don’t. If I remember correctly the main folder had a config file in it and then from there it pointed to the sub-folders containing the Pak’s.

If I ever get around to setting it back up I’ll write up and link a guide in here for you

Thank you for replying after all this time. I was able to host the file on a public S3 bucket, so anyone with the game could download the pak file using Chunk downloader, Thank you for replying tho, and wish you all the best with your projects.