Choppy play in editor since 4.9 , 4.10 included

Hi, since i upgraded the engine to 4.9 and above the view of the editor gets choppy when try to play in the editor.
It’s not a frame rate drop it gets choppy like in half the view is refreshing and the other half is stuck on the same frame. Where and when this happens is completely random some time i can play fine and some times it’s just impossible to get it to work.

It works fine if i use the play in New Editor Window(PIE) option or Standalone Game so it’s not a show stopper but it is a bit uncomfortable.

If I lower my engine settings from epic to high or medium it happens less but still happens

I have tested this with a blank first person template and it also happens so i think it’s safe to say it’s not project related.

This also happened to me when Radiant updated Rising Thunder to use 4.9, suddenly the game became almost unplayable if i didn’t lower the settings, and that didn’t help much either.

Until 4.8 i could use the Epic settings for everything and even have 2 or more projects running without any problem.

Any suggestion on how to get it back to normal would be appreciated.

Here are my specs:

System Information

Time of this report: 5/18/2015, 10:08:10
       Machine name: ****
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150427-0707)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
       System Model: MS-7758
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/31/12 11:59:16 Ver: 04.06.05
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
             Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16328MB RAM
          Page File: 4845MB used, 27810MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

       Card name: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
       Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
          Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6658)
           DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6658&SUBSYS_048F1043&REV_00
     Display Memory: 4095 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 2025 MB
      Shared Memory: 2070 MB
       Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: BenQ T221WA
         Monitor Id: BNQ7719
        Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)
        Output Type: HD15
        Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1333 (English)
     Driver Version: 14.501.1003.0
        DDI Version: 11
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 11/20/2014 19:44:20, 1348928 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
  Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2518-11CF-C676-8524BEC2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x1002
          Device ID: 0x6658
          SubSys ID: 0x048F1043
        Revision ID: 0x0000
 Driver Strong Name: oem21.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_R505:14.501.1003.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_6658
     Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
        Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
       D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
            DXVA-HD: Not Supported
       DDraw Status: Enabled
         D3D Status: Enabled
         AGP Status: Enabled

Thank you !

If I am reading the above correctly, you have a very old AMD driver. I would upgrade and try again…


Yeah that fixed it :slight_smile: , thanks teak. I had to get the new drivers from the web, for some reason my auto update was stuck on version 14.