Chinese Vase Photogrammetry

This is the second vase I have scanned, but this time rendering it in Unreal Engine 5 Properly.

Taken using a Sony A7RIV and processed in Reality Capture.
A lot of cleanup was needed as this was an extremely reflective object. The normal map was generated by using the colour map and making it back and white and using it to simulate the surface detail of the Vase. the surface varied with the colours so I used that information to generate an accurate height map which was then converted into a normal map.
The Roughness map was also created using mostly the colour map as each colour had varied reflectiveness on it.

I used to live in Hong Kong when I was a kid, so when I moved we took a lot of decorations and ornaments with us. I’m slowly going through them and seeing if I can scan them properly.

let me know what you think, this is my first UE5 scene and I’m loving the ease of it already!

Here it is on ArtStation with a Video render: Chinese Vase

5 Likes

Greetings @PlasmaticJj !

Welcome back! :wink:

I must remark on how amazing your Chinese vase looks! You can see the texture/the artistic indentations on the vase. The scan and edits also resulted in the maintaining of the hand-painted look. My mother has an authentic Chinese vase very similar to your scan.

Being that the vase is highly reflective, was it far too challenging to get a matte scan and add a glossy, reflective layer after the fact?

2 Likes

Thanks!
Ah, nice! I have a few more in different colours, the reflection certainly makes this a challenging object to replicate.

Using a Polarizer helped, I think without one you’d be in a lot of trouble, I found that so long as you have a lot of photos in potential trouble arias you’ll get a cleaner look. Still a bit rough, but a lot smoother and no holes in the mesh.

For this, I simply used the basic shape of the scan and then remodelled the mesh that was smooth and clean and transferred the colour map using Substance and worked from there.
No need for a high poly as it’s smooth already, just small details that need to be added in which was done using the colour map. The Roughness map has a slight variation for the painted peace’s but no pinger prints or anything like that if that’s what you’re asking. I polished it a bit before scanning it so there was no dust or other bits of dirt when I began.

2 Likes