Child blueprints not maintaining values set by either parent or itself

Whelp, error has come up yet again. Again not entirely sure as to why. I’ve not even edited parent blueprint since it fixed itself.

:frowning:

Hi Slayermin,

Please try this in 4.8.3 with this commit, as suggested above, and let us know if issue persists. Thanks!

Hey Haigen,

Please try this in 4.8.3 with commit suggested above, and let us know if issue persists. Thanks!

I think I just ran into this problem. I have several C++ actors and BP classes inheriting from them. BP is there just to edit defaults. I’ve been editing code and editing values with no problem for months. Then, today, one of BP classes won’t remember its settings. I was editing code for an unrelated component when it failed.

Not all settings get lost, for some reason. Some custom and some standard components remember their data.

I tried closing, deleting Intermediate and Binaries folders, and rebuilding. That had no effect.

I tried resetting all values in BP class, saving, and closing its tab. When I immediately re-open it, however, settings I just saved are gone.

I tried replacing it with a new, from-scratch BP class. I inherited from same C++ base and manually copied over all settings. But new one forgets just like old one. Then I tried same from-scratch process with a different BP class that isn’t broken, and that one forgets itself too.

At this point, I’m going to have to hope that rebuilding entire C++/BP inheritance tree from scratch solves problem. I don’t know why it would, but it’s related, and I have not tried it yet.

I think I’ve “fixed” my problem.

I tried building up a totally new C++/BP class hierarchy that wouldn’t have any weird data residue from game iterations. Same problem, after I exited and relaunched editor. Before I closed and reopened, it worked. But that’s useless.

I ended up “fixing” it by deleting a custom class I made that inherited from UPaperSpriteComponent. I had started developing with Paper component, but eventually transitioned to my own to get more functionality. Now, granted, I did replace existing Paper components with my own, and I expected editor to pitch a fit due to type mismatch. It didn’t, but then a couple days later it just stopped working.

This is not first time I’ve run into a brick wall of broken functionality by trying to extend something other than basic classes. Unfortunately this episode makes me feel like as soon as you try to do your own thing with UE4, all bets are off. Subclassing Paper2D sprite component should never bring my entire studio’s progress to a halt.

I think I’ve “fixed” my problem.

I tried building up a totally new C++/BP class hierarchy that wouldn’t have any weird data residue from game iterations. Same problem, after I exited and relaunched editor. Before I closed and reopened, it worked. But that’s useless.

I ended up “fixing” it by deleting a custom class I made that inherited from UPaperSpriteComponent. I had started developing with Paper component, but eventually transitioned to my own to get more functionality. Now, granted, I did replace existing Paper components with my own, and I expected editor to pitch a fit due to type mismatch. It didn’t, but then a couple days later it just stopped working.

This is not first time I’ve run into a brick wall of broken functionality by trying to extend something other than basic classes. Unfortunately this episode makes me feel like as soon as you try to do your own thing with UE4, all bets are off. Subclassing Paper2D sprite component should never bring my entire studio’s progress to a halt.

Hi Peter,

Please open a new post for this issue in Bug Reports section and I can get someone to look into it. It appears to be a separate issue from one reported here, though it has similar symptoms. Thank you.

Has there been any change or update on this? Seems like same issue as https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/246046/certain-bp-class-properties-keep-losing-value.html

My team is also running into this issue in 4.10.1.

We’re also using Generic Shooter as our base.

At first it was relegated to our Character classes - a class in middle of inheritance chain would randomly stop referring to its skeletal mesh and reset it to that of it’s grandparent. We also saw some resetting of collision capsule component’s values. After deleting ALL of our child classes and rebuilding them from scratch - issue still remained. To work around, we’ve “hacked” values to be set at runtime in the “BeginPlay” event.

Last night another Actor class chain (our weapons) started exhibiting same issue - child class data randomly being reset to parent or grand-parent values. We’re losing valuable development time, and a bit of confidence.

Would love to help debug this in any way we can.

No update on reported bug at this time. It’s similar to and possibly related to other report you linked to, but there are several like that which are not directly related and it will take time to locate all causes. I will post here as I see any updates to it.

Thanks . Please let me know if there’s anything my team can do to help track this down.

Hi,

Just to say I still have this issue (loosing references on mesh component of child classes) on 4.10.4 and as you can guess it’s super annoying, really.

I stopped using child BP for a while as I had issue before. I recently started a new proto and thinking it should have been fixed after all this time I made some BP actor having child, I know this is bad there are not married…
Actually everything went fine until a point where after restarting editor issue came back!

Seems workaround given by on another similar topic (bDeferDependencyLoads=false in BaseEngine.ini) works for now but I hope this will be fixed soon.

Edit: Actually workaround is not good, it was okay until editor crashes on loading projects and I guess “bDeferDependencyLoads=false” is cause as setting it back to true stops editor crashes. But now BP child loose ref again…

Hello,

This issue is currently under investigation by our developers, but there is not a set timeline in terms of when a fix will be released. I will provide updates on this issue as they become available.

Have a great day

Just want to add that I have a similar problem. At moment I have two categories of blueprints that do this each with its own parent. I think problem can definitely be narrowed down to parent and child classes. Using 4.11

Would just like to add that I have ran in to this same problem in 4.12.

Seems many more claiming same here:

Thanks for information, bh8817!

Still happening in September 2016 with 4.12.5. Tried what was suggested but no luck, Any help?

Could you please open a new thread for your issue so that we can focus on reproducing specific issue you’re experiencing? You can create it in Bug Reports section.

Thank you

I found error; child blueprint is corrupt. It lets me use it in game but not edit it.

Try looking in your project’s Saved->Backups folder to see if it contains a backup of asset. If not, it would be worth recreating blueprint from scratch and deleting corrupted version.

I also have similar problem in both 4.12.5 and 4.13.0 It’s really annoying and super super unproductive… I created a child blueprint with a mesh inherited from parent… I saved and quited editor… then I opened it back on, mesh was somehow set to “none”… Can anyone fix it? Thanks,