Checking every tick if actor is overlapping box collision?

Let’s say I have a Flamethrower with a particle system for the visuals and a box collision to collide with a certain actor… then when hitting left click and starting to shoot… I need to check if the actor is overlapping with the box collision… I could use a begin overlap event but then if the actor already is overlapping the box collision when stating to shoot then the event won’t get triggered even tho its overlapping… so how can I make it check if a certain actor is overlapping… lets say every tick or something…
Thanks in advance!

so how can I make it check if a
certain actor is overlapping… lets
say every tick or something…

To me it sounds like you’ve already answered your own question:

Since flamethrowers can often hit multiple things, you might be interested in the node that spits out an array:

The above would work better with a Timer than Tick, since you can easily decide how much damage per second you’re dishing out rather than apply it every frame and deal with delta seconds.

Hit Box is not an actor, it’s a component - use the component variant of the required node. Also, nodes are context sensitive, search for them in a context, like so:

320840-screenshot-2020-11-02-110109.jpg

Compare the node you’re using with the one I originally posted - see what its Target is.

I don’t think I follow your logic.

Here you’re checking whether the character you’re controlling atm is a civilian (cast = treat the Player Character as if it was of BP Civilian type). Is your character whose perspective we see here a Civilian - if they are not, the cast should fail.

Since it’s not you being hit with the spray, this should not print. The player’s capsule is clearly not overlapping the spray here. We a see a doctor hitting someone else than you.

I’m not sure how your logic is set up for this. How would this work if somehow 2 patients got in the way of the spray?

If you were using a line trace for targeting, you’d know precisely what you’re interacting with. But since you’re using an overlapping volume, you’ll be dealing with an arbitrary, undefined number of hit elements. That’s why I mentioned the array in my original post.

Try it like this in the Doctor’s blueprint:

Here we’re checking whether the box volume overlaps anything that is a civilian, and if there are any results we show a string at that civilian’s location.

If you want to apply an effect to one entity only at a time, you’d need to figure out which civilian it would be. The one with lowest health, the closest to the spray’s origin, a random one or all of them, as seen above.

Ignore the parent Tick, ofc, it’s irrelevant here.