CharacterMovementComponent refactoring

Hey guys,

it’s been a while since I took a look at the different MovementComponents, but it seems that the CharacterMovementComponent is still the only one with RVO/Network Prediction/Replication, is that correct? Is there any progress on this or does someone have custom solutions? Making my pawn a character is just a no-no, the overhead from characters should definitely possible to be avoided.

I’d really like to hear your opinions/progress on achieving something similar to the CharacterMovementComponent in a more generic way. (Why was all that stuff only made for Characters in the first place? I don’t see a reason for this…)

Thanks in advance! Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,

Definitely agree with characters getting too much favoritism on that front! lol

I’d suggest taking a peek at the Unreal Tournament source code to get an idea of how the networking can be trimmed down and customized while still playing nice with RVO as well. (UTCharacter, UTCharacterMovement).

That and combing through the source for Pawns and Characters should help get you started but warning: It’s ALOT of code…

Thank you for your advice, however I’d rather not do that for x weeks and then find a working solution that could’ve saved me a lot of work :wink: (+ my game is not that huge, I guess this would be so overkill …)

I actually hoped that Epic is working on this :confused: Well okay then…