Character Spawning Outside the Level Environment

Trying to get the engine to open (picked an old project, have to wait on shaders).

Meanwhile.
I think the issue is that your level is custom and there’s nothing in persistent set up for it to load.

Access the Levels tab

See what shows in there.

Select the level, access the Level Details.
Check the checkbox for “initially loaded” or “intially visible” or both.

Review how to do it right here

(and by hear I really mean more the content in content samples than the docs).

If that is actually the issue, it’s an easy fix/Just something that was overlooked when setting up.

I was told by someone in a Discord group to go World Settings → GameMode Override and select BP_SnapDemoGameMode. This seems to have moved things in the right direction. Now the level is built before my eyes and I can see the number of actors steadily increase until all are present. However, the character now falls through the floor.

I shared a screenshot of my levels above. In that screenshot, it looks like there were a lot of sublevels under the Persistent Level. However, now all I see is the Persistent Level.

Odd second screenshot.

I think you need to look up on how to set up for gameplay properly. IF that’s the goal.
If you just want to play in editor for the sake of testing it, then I would suggest placing a box in persistent under the character - Once you hit play you just wait for stuff to spawn yourself.

IF you need to set up for game-play, then you will probably need a loading screen and a bunch more to it.

I’m a long way from setting it up for game play.

After switching game modes as described above, I can add an object under the character, which does stop it from falling. But, that causes everything to freeze. It has to rebuild lighting and when it gets to 47 unbuilt objects it freezes. At that point I can’t move the camera or anything.

Make the object movable - even if it’s not. That should prevent your lighting from being invalidated.

The lighting has to be rebuilt each time due to the change in GameMode.

Okay, whew. Everything has been fixed. Urgh. What a mess. Here are the steps I had to take:

In World Settings, change GameMode Override to BP_SpapDemoGameMode.
Changed the Default Pawn Class to ThirdPersonCharacter.

The above is needed to actually build the level, since it has to be built at runtime.

This almost solved all the problems. However, I didn’t have the Dungeon actor at location 0,0,0. Moving the Dungeon actor to this position made everything work as intended.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help!

2 Likes