Character Orientation Degrades Groom

I think hair stiffness values need to be checked since, as they leave their initial state, they start showing edges.

Yes i saw that… i edited my answer… pls see above

Hey! So im using 4.26, and im using the groom for an animation project. But has anyone else noticed that if your character is oriented anywhere away from X+, the groom begins to degrade and go jagged? I did a test. All I did was simply have my character rotate 180 degrees in sequencer. Here is the result.

For my animated project this is a big issue, since our character will face all sorts of directions!

As an additional comment, I believe the hair needs to be binded. And the character actually needs to be rotated from the bones root/hip. We rotated the character in maya and imported the animation from there. That seems to produce the issue.

Thanks for the feedback. Im aware of the noise from the raytracing. Im not trying to deliver a final image so the noise on the ear is besides the point of this post. I literally just threw this together to show the issue with the hair.

Also how do you not see it? Look at the strands on the left side of the video. Watch them deform into jagged hairs. Its like the guides are being mal-formed as a result of the bone rotation on the root joint. I just have the character rotating 180 degrees. The hair doesn’t retain its shape. Compare the beginning and end of the video, you will notice the hair shape has been compromised.

Even when the hair is simulating, once it has finished moving, the hair will always retain its shape once the character is still. Thats normal behavior of UE4’s grooms.

I dont think its the stiffness. I tried that as well. I discovered that if the hair isn’t binded to the character, but instead is parented to the head bone, the issue does go away. It has to do with the binding.

I havent used ue4 groom/hair yet, but previously when we used nvidia hairworks, we always used to bind the guides.

Nice! Well it looks like it has something to do with the binding asset not working properly. Id rather bind the hair to the head. But since it causes the result in the video when you rotate the character, I might just need to parent it to the head bone. Im also using the spring solver to maintain the stylization of the hair. That particular solver preserves the hair’s silhouette.

Hopefully Epic can fix the bind issue, once you rotate the character via bone the groom simulation just falls apart.

Which other tools are you using to create these?

Blender is used to generate the groom.

Nice, yea i heard about its powerful tools for groom.

I’ve run into the same issue recently, I could recreate the same case in official MetaHuman project, by just rotating spine bone 180 degrees. Which leads me to believe the problem, most likely, is not on our part. For now we just parented groom to head bone, but it’s not ideal since we loosing on some binding features.

I have a similar groom binding issue with a character while using a root motion animation in 4.25

Character groom works fine when it animates in place in a cycle, but as soon as the character offsets from origin via the imported animation (root motion) the quality of the groom deteriorates and becomes stepped / jagged like the image bellow.

A work around I found was to animate the character in place externally in Maya, then in UE I animate the transforms for the character.

Someone found a solution in this thread

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/1018697/groomhair-looks-jagged-after-assigning-binding-■■■.html

Drop your mesh and hair into the scene, attach the hair to the mesh. In the content browser, right-click on your imported skeletal mesh → create a new physics asset. In the Phat editor, delete all the physics bodies but the one for the head. In the skeletal mesh editor under “Physics”, assign the newly created physics asset. (If it doesn’t update, toggle between old and new. The preview icon in the content browser should focus on the head now.) Create a groom binding asset for your hair and select the skeletal mesh under target mesh.