Character movement lag when game runs on 60+ fps (singleplayer game)

Hi all!

I released my game Emberheart in Steam Early Access yesterday. I’ve had reports from players that movement is laggy. And after focussing on it I see it as well. The world around the character seems to lag and the characters movement jumps sometimes.

The game runs at 60 fps in most maps (still working on optimizing this). So it’s strange that I experience laggy movement.

I thought it had to do with default UE4 motion blur settings. But I tried disabling motion blur all together with no noticeable change. Only when I bump up the motion blur value to 1 instead of the default 0.5 I notice that the motion blur gets more powerful and thus worse.

Am I doing something wrong with disabling motion blur? What could possibly cause jittery movement?

Watch my trailer to see exactly what I mean by laggy movement.

I tried:
  • changing or adding post process volume and enabling motion blur value and set it to 0.

• Add a post process component to player character class and also enable motion blur value and set it to 0.

• Disable motion blur in project settings

• Disable motion blur in camera.

• tried all 4 options at the same time.

• tried disabling the Smooth framerate option in project settings

• Tried setting smooth framerate enabled and set its range to between 0 and 200.

• tried the range with smooth framerate disabled

• tried minimum desirable framerate on 30 and on 60

It’s a topdown project. So I checked my movement code, and it doesnt use delta time, so smoothing framerate by using delta time is also not the problem.

What else can I try?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I solved moving with tick/deltatime but I’m still experiencing some jumps in movement now and then. Any further Ideas what might be causing this? I think I need to think in the direction of the motion blur again :s

If you do any tick operations in movement progression calculations you should use delta time, without it your movement is tied to number of frames passed not time passing, this specially will be visible if game goes slower then 60 fps or faster.

Any delta operation in tick need to be multiplied by delta time, delta it self naturally becomes values/s and should not be effected by fps or else you got really jumpy fps which may mess up delta time estimations.

Hi, thanks! I already started looking at ways to incorporate delta time for the movement. But I have a problem with it. It’s a topdown click-to-move game and if I use delta time with the code I have the character moves as long as I hold the mouse button down, but stops moving when I release. So if I click a location (and dont hold) the character stops moving instead of continuing movement to the clicked position. I’m using a Gate to have the tick and I’m using “Simple move to location” node.

Here’s a screenshot of the “Move To Hit Location” function that’s hooked up to a Gate with the Tick’s Delta Seconds passed on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok solved the movement with tick/deltatime and being able to keep running towards clicked location. But I’m still experiencing lag and I think it is also terrible motion blur :frowning:

Help please!?

Thanks in advance!

Did you ever solve this? I’m having issues with the floating pawn movement and lots of lag/input lag if I rotate my pawn while moving.

1 Like